General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Mar-13 09:11:27
Print Post

Phone connections on FTTC lines.

[link to this post]

Most of us I hope know that on ADSLx the phone line carrying both phone and broadband traffic ultimately arrives at the DSLAM/MSAN at the exchange and the phone circuit is jumpered from there to the MDF. (Some detail possibly omitted tongue).

On FTTC, is this still the case? Or does the FTTC connection arrive at the MSAN via the GEA cablelink and the phone line revert to standard PSTN routing - not going anywhere near the MSAN?

If the latter on BT Wholesale connections, is the answer the same on both BT Wholesale and Sky/TT "LLU phone" connections?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Mar-13 09:13:40)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-13 09:28:31
Print Post

Re: Phone connections on FTTC lines.

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I *think* you have already answered your own question Bob.

On ADSL the point where both services 'meet' is the MDF (main distribution frame)/exchange.
With FTTC the meeting point is the PCP.

If it's a conversion of an existing service, then the exchange jumpering remains unchanged, a filter on the copper ties in the new FTTC cabinet stops the old sync from the exchange affecting the new VDSL signal.

With LLU connections it's just the same, the exchange jumpering remains the same...

HDF port provides both LLU voice and BB, this connects to the MDF via an Openreach maintained link cable. From here it is jumpered to it's quoted TAMS in and out ports (allowing Openreach to test the lines amongst other functions).
From the TAMS out, to the bar pair and off to the outside world.

Print Thread

Jump to