General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(regular) Sat 16-Mar-13 13:42:21
Print Post

REIN SHINE preventing commissioning of FTTC cab

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm of the understanding one of the cabs near me has issues with electrical interference REIN / SHINE. The areas has poor ADSL (anywhere from 512Kbps to 5Mbps). Has anyone seen this before and were BT able to isolate the source and resolve the problem. Have BT ever rolled an area to FTTP for this reason?

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-13 13:57:16
Print Post

Re: REIN SHINE preventing commissioning of FTTC cab

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

If where you live is an FTTC enabled area, then from next month or May FOD should be available to order, Fibre on demand, which is basically FTTP, but the customer(you) would have to pay the costs for installing a fibre link from the aggregation node under the street to your home, plus an aditional charge for installing within the house, FOD will be available to anyone who can get FTTC , If no FTTC cab serving your home, it's a no go

As for BT openreach rolling out FTTH instead of FTTC because of this type of issue, the above is the closes thing to them ever doing that, after all this is BT we are talking about here, those who make those decisions don't care about their customers getting a good service

As for BT openreach isolating their Equipment from REIN /electrical induction ect, If this is causing all who are connected to it major issues then i think surely they would have a duty to sort it out, or let all those connected to it end their service penalty free untill they relocate it if it cannot be sheilded from the source/s

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 16-Mar-13 13:59:58)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-13 14:00:09
Print Post

They actually told you that a REIN issue was why a cab wasn't commissioned ?

There's a cab round this way that has a known REIN source right next to it, a pumping station, but was FTTC'd OK, and does not appear to be an issue for those fed from it. Those still on DSL still have issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User garethr
(regular) Sat 16-Mar-13 14:26:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Zarjaz,

What if I add that part of the area is still down as FTTP? So one half of an estate is FTTC but the commissioning hasn't yet happened and the other half is down for FTTP because of similar problems.

Yes I've been advised by someone who knows what they are talking about.

I also need to add that BT were set to replace the PCP's (one PCP split across two cabs) but abandoned the work.

Interesting that VDSL coped better than ADSL next to a REIN source.

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 16-Mar-13 17:52:56
Print Post

as long as people get at least 15mbit I dont think BT will care.

Remember loop loss drops on FTTC so REIN strength vs dsl signal drops in porportion so people affected on dsl may not be on FTTC and if they are it will probably be less severe.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User garethr
(regular) Sun 17-Mar-13 20:29:43
Print Post

Re: Chained cab rein shine

Hi,

I've now been advised the cabs concerned are actually chained.

I was speaking to someone via PM (very helpful) who has said that in a chained scenario the last cab in the chain gets the FTTC cab.?? Bit confused is that right?

Exchange -> CAB A -> CAB B

In our case BT have installed a FTTC cab on cab A the first in the chain. Does this mean CAB B can't now have FTTC and would have to be P. Or that OR would have to re-engineer the connection to cab B to make it direct (probably impossible) as it has to run under cab A.

Regards,

Gareth

Edited by garethr (Sun 17-Mar-13 20:30:20)

Standard User partial
(member) Sun 17-Mar-13 20:48:09
Print Post

They ain't 'chained'.
Standard User garethr
(regular) Sun 17-Mar-13 20:50:04
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Can you give me a bit more to go on. I've been told 3-4 times now they are? Why wouldn't they be.

I'm not saying your wrong but more info would help.

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 21:48:00
Print Post

It is reasonably common to find a line running through two cabs on route to it's final destination. As said, you want the cab nearest you, the 'last' cab to be fibre enabled, leaving the shortest D-side run to your property.

Print Thread

Jump to