General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Mar-13 22:42:59
Print Post

FTTPoD availability/coverage

[link to this post]

Does anyone know whether the cabinet for your address will have to be FTTC enabled to be able to order FTTPoD? I look after a couple of sites where the current lines are fed from non-enabled cabs but I know that other cabs very close by have fttc twins. In one case , if I read it correctly, the plant map I saw suggested that there is ducting directly between our cab and one I know to be enabled less than 150m away.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-13 23:06:06
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD availability/coverage

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

It is my understanding that the cab the line is fed from would have to be FTTC enabled to allow an FTToD.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Mar-13 00:04:58
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

The most likely state of affairs will be that BT will allow you to order FTTPoD if their database thinks you can - and it will be nigh-on impossible if the database says otherwise.

The data in the database will dictate things *so* much more than, say, the presence of linking ducting in the ground.

So it depends on how BT populate their database in the first place.

If they go with the current FTTC status of the cabinet (as they have said so far), then you are probably out of luck.

If they go for a system that checks for the distance/accessibility of the nearest aggregation node to the cabinet (which is what your new fibre will actually connect to), they might be a little more flexible.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 17-Mar-13 11:48:02
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
If they go for a system that checks for the distance/accessibility of the nearest aggregation node to the cabinet (which is what your new fibre will actually connect to), they might be a little more flexible.

This way makes sense to me, surely BT have the sense (perhaps not) to quote for all customers, regardless of whether their cabinet is enabled or not, surely it is the presence of an aggregation node that should determine availability.

I guess we'll find out soon enough when it launches.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 11:57:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
It is my understanding that the cab the line is fed from would have to be FTTC enabled to allow an FTToD.

Yep had that confirmed from two different guys in the hierarchy at Openreach. Even if the aggregation node is outside they won't run FTTPoD from it if you aren't connected to an enabled cabinet.

I guess they don't want to break network segmentation.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Mar-13 14:08:53
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
I guess they don't want to break network segmentation.

I can certainly see why they'd want the new fibre network to be segmented effectively, but that doesn't mean that it has to be a direct 1:1 overlay of the copper segmentation.

Certainly there is no need for the new fibre installation to *have* to go via the cabinet, and there is no need for the network topology to have to look identical.

For example: I don't know what the deployment plan looks like for the chain of aggregation nodes as they snake out from an exchange - but one document I saw from BT suggested that they should add the extra fibre, to change the topology from a tree/branch structure rooted at a single exchange into double-ended chains that ran from exchange to exchange, giving backup routing to the core network.

Either way, there is certainly no need to assume that there is a 1:1 correlation of aggregation node to PCP.

However, I am perfectly prepared to believe that the restriction is in place for ease of administration frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 14:30:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

They've already broken the segmentation by feeding many FTTC cabinets from a different exchange from the PCP. Maybe even in the case of the two users currently asking this question.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 15:45:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They've already broken the segmentation by feeding many FTTC cabinets from a different exchange from the PCP. Maybe even in the case of the two users currently asking this question.

As far as I'm aware the fibre cabinets go back to their 'home' exchange, the same one as the PCP, then from there go on existing fibre routes to the handover exchange?

I would welcome correction but that was my understanding.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 16:35:39
Print Post

On thinking about it, that seems highly likely. Dammit! smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 18:40:39
Print Post

As far as I'm aware the fibre cabinets go back to their 'home' exchange, the same one as the PCP, then from there go on existing fibre routes to the handover exchange?

I would welcome correction but that was my understanding.

Well I am 100% sure that the fibre feeding DSLAM cabs in Eversley goes straight back to Crowthorne.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to