General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trevstan
(learned) Sun 17-Mar-13 00:56:18
Print Post

Data extension installation questions.

[link to this post]

Hi all my Fibre gets installed on Monday and just wondering some questions that you guys could answer.

Does the data extension cable affect speeds (would be about 10/12m from master) at all or am i best off having the router/modem next to the master socket and running long eternet cables instead? (only problem being no mains sockets next to the master socket)

And are they flexible on moving the master socket without any charge?

Edited-: My last post seemed to go on for ever so changed it alittle smile!

Edited by trevstan (Sun 17-Mar-13 02:32:43)

Standard User trevstan
(learned) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:51:02
Print Post

Re: Data extension installation questions.

[re: trevstan] [link to this post]

Well the OR Engineer landed yesterday and said that my order didn't have the data extension and it was a basic install I did tick it on the order form wasn't happy like but not a lot I could do.

Now a question the OR Engineer said that using my 20m RJ11 would be fine (from reading a few posts on here it seems quite the opposite) should I be looking to use an alternative cabling solution? Can it have an adverse effect on my speeds?

I am getting between 66/68mb download and 13 upload can it cause affect to the profiles as my upload on the profile says max 20 and on the download max 67.54 (it did show up as 68.** yesterday after checking) and if so can these reover and go higher?

Current setup is Master socket,20m rj11,OR modem,PN router,25m RJ45, PC

Edited by trevstan (Tue 19-Mar-13 15:55:56)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 16:47:28
Print Post

if the RJ11 is twisted pair and in good order (as opposed to flat and trodden to death under a carpet) I doubt it would make much difference as long as it isn't wrapped round a power brick or passing close to a plasma TV etc.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Mar-13 16:49:22
Print Post

The 20m RJ11 cable is fairly likely to affect your speed, you would be much better off using a short RJ11 cable and a long Ethernet cable between the modem and the router, if possible.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Tue 19-Mar-13 16:50:15)

Standard User trevstan
(learned) Tue 19-Mar-13 17:19:51
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

@yarwell It was a cheap run of the mill RJ11 i purchased at a local computer shop so doubtful that it is anything special.

In reply to a post by kasg:
The 20m RJ11 cable is fairly likely to affect your speed, you would be much better off using a short RJ11 cable and a long Ethernet cable between the modem and the router, if possible.

Yeah I was considering setting up the BT Modem in the kitchen and attach it to the wall then run a RJ45 from it to the Router in the living room.

Think I'll order one tonight and give it a try, will I see a difference straight away (if there's one to be had) or would it be gradual? And how long should i leave it before moving the modem?

Thanks.

Edited by trevstan (Tue 19-Mar-13 17:23:36)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Mar-13 17:23:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by trevstan:
Think I'll order one tonight and give it a try, will I see a difference straight away (if there's one to be had) or would it be gradual? And how long should i leave it before moving the modem?

I would leave it alone for a day or two then move it. If it is going to synchronise at a higher speed it should do so straight away and your IP profile should follow as soon as you reconnect. No guarantees though, speed could actually decrease, all controlled by Openreach DLM which can be quick to reduce speed but very slow to increase it again!

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 17:26:42
Print Post

the profile speed (seen via the BT speedtester) will rise when you reconnect the PPP session after doing the relocation - in other words when the router is powered up a message is sent upstream which conveys your sync speed.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 18:13:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by trevstan:
I'd leave it as is for a couple of days.

Yarwell is right in a way that throughput speed should increase immediately if the connection/sync increases, but not quite right if you are on Plusnet which I believe you are.

They hold a copy of the BT IP Profile, (rounded down). That is updated automatically from the BT IP Profile which does change immediately, but that auto-update to the Plusnet copy can take a few hours. In exceptional circumstances it can fail. The lower of the two IP Profiles is what limits you.

Before you do the move, check what your BT Wholesale IP Profile is, by running the BT Wholesale Performance Test and continuing from the results page to the Further Diagnostics button near the bottom. Your Plusnet copy is called Current line speed and is in your Member Centre >> Connection Settings >> High speed broadband.

You may find a BT speed test has to be an hour or three after the first one in order to see the new IP Profile. The Plusnet version of it is supposedly checked two or three times per 24 hours.

If the Plusnet one doesn't update within 24 hours, the best place to ask for it to be reset is in the Community forums.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User trevstan
(learned) Tue 19-Mar-13 18:25:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks guys all duly noted

I'll leave it for a couple of days before trying new cabling and hopefully I'll see a performance increase if not no worries at least I'll have better cabling smile.
Standard User trevstan
(learned) Wed 20-Mar-13 00:35:40
Print Post

Little looking about i found this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADSL2-Speed-Ethernet-Broadba...

Would this cable be as good as a normal ethernet cable to avoid having to put the modem close to master socket? Or am I still best of going down the first setup i mentioned?

Edited by trevstan (Wed 20-Mar-13 00:37:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to