General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User parish
(experienced) Sun 17-Mar-13 02:08:43
Print Post

Clarification wanted about "qualifying" for FTTPoD

[link to this post]

I've been reading about the imminent roll-out of FTTPoD but I keep reading phrases along the lines of "properties served by FTTC" and wonder exactly what this means.

Does it mean that you must have - or could get - FTTC Infinity in order to get FTTPoD?

I ask because I live on a housing development of several hundred properties, most of which have FTTC except for a couple of dozen, mine included, which, from what I can make out, were early builds and BT gave them direct-to-exchange lines.

So, there are FTTC cabs in my road but I can't get Infinity. Should I be able to get FTTPoD? Will BT run fibre from one of the street cabs to my property even though there is no copper linking them?
Standard User deathtrap3000
(newbie) Sun 17-Mar-13 02:38:11
Print Post

Re: Clarification wanted about "qualifying" for FTTPoD

[re: parish] [link to this post]

As a surveyor is required on FTTPoD installs, they will be able to tell you what your options are. Usually, if ductwork is already in place that connects you to the cab area, or you are willing to pay for new duct work, then there is no reason why you cant get on demand FTTP, even if you cannot get FTTC, despite living near a FTTC enabled area.
It will probably cost a lot though.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 11:40:46
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4221619-ftt...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 12:02:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by parish:
So, there are FTTC cabs in my road but I can't get Infinity. Should I be able to get FTTPoD? Will BT run fibre from one of the street cabs to my property even though there is no copper linking them?

Nope, and nope, not at the moment. May change in the future and likely will but certainly initially it's not an option. Spoke with a couple of senior Openreach types on this regarding a property which had the fibre aggregation node, the bit where the FTTPoD install would be sourced from, quite literally right outside, and the answer was no.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 13:34:47
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Nope, and nope, not at the moment. May change in the future and likely will but certainly initially it's not an option. Spoke with a couple of senior Openreach types on this regarding a property which had the fibre aggregation node, the bit where the FTTPoD install would be sourced from, quite literally right outside, and the answer was no.

Rules still trump common sense then frown

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 17-Mar-13 13:42:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Absolutely ridiculous, talk about turning business away, perhaps it will change with time.

Standard User parish
(experienced) Sun 17-Mar-13 13:54:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

So, initially at least, FTTPoD is only really an upgrade for those with existing FTTC connections, so probably businesses and speed freaks?

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Rules still trump common sense then frown

It would seem so.

My situation seems all too common (though the technical reasons may be different). A street/estate/area gets fibre but a small number of properties can't get it and BT's attitude is "You can't get it. Tough. We don't care"

Time there were some regulations put in place to force BT or whoever to address these issues.

In my particular case, I suspect that the reason I have a direct-to-exchange line is that my house was one of the first to be built on this development and it was probably the cheapest solution at the time for BT.

What makes this all the more annoying for me is that when I bought this house I was considering two and the one I decided not to buy - about 100m away - has got Infinity!!!

Edited by parish (Sun 17-Mar-13 13:58:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 23:24:30
Print Post

tongue
Get pally with the people that bought it, put in a line there with the modem, and run your own ethernet fibre link from it. Or if you can get someone closer then decent ethernet cable. (100 metre limit).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:13:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by parish:
So, initially at least, FTTPoD is only really an upgrade for those with existing FTTC connections, so probably businesses and speed freaks?

Not entirely sure of the relevance between being a business / speed freak and having access to FTTC. Note access, not a pre-existing FTTC connection.

The cost of FTTPoD will be what makes it an upgrade for businesses and speed freaks, not its availability.

Even if it's right outside your house and no additional construction is required you're still looking at a 500GBP installation charge, followed by a monthly fee near or into 3 figures a month given current Wholesale prices.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:46:28
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In theory the monthly cost should be able to be the same as FTTC services for the same speed point, but there appears to be at least in the early launch phase ONLY 330/30 Mbps as an option.

I can see many people who want stable and better speeds happy to spend the £500 to £1500, but if the monthly fee is beyond the usual range then they will not bother.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to