General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(regular) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:33:15
Print Post

Botched FTTC Comissioning - people have lost ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in Milton Keynes. The area I live has some known issues with ADSL and sync rates are pretty poor 750Kbps to 2-3Mbps.

We have two cabs one covering the north of he estate and one covering the south.

The cab on the north (SMWS8) is intended to have FTTC and has had a cab since December.

The cab on the south (SMWS9) is intended to have FTTP. With an ETA of Feb 2014.

We believe BT attempted to replace one or both (there are two) PCP cabinets (1 PCP split across two physical cabs) last week - but abandoned the work.

We (MK BAG Milton Keynes Broadband Action Group) are receiving complaints that people in the areas have either reduced sync rates or are now unable to gain sync on their lines.

From a provide ticket I've seen BT have declared some form of emergency (MSF) on lines in the area. The problem is this was yesterday and BT *STILL* don't appear to have resolved the issue.

Is this a common problem? Is anyone able to find out what the hell OR are doing.

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:39:20
Print Post

Re: Botched FTTC Comissioning - people have lost ADSL

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

They may be rerouting lines and what not for the cabinet, replacing ducting, that sort of thing. On such variable lines, if there is even a 'minor' problem with the service, there will be total loss in many instances. I imagine that some of these lines are running at 60+dB attenuations, so a new joint or what not can even knock them out.

Don't know how common it is but at least you've got FTTC and FTTP coming wink. Some people will have these issues with no chance of fttx in the near future...
Standard User garethr
(regular) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:46:20
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

60+dB REIN and SHINE. I did once have dual ADSL with A&A both lines would drop at the same time and not come back for a good 2-3 minutes. My old line on 20CN would only do 750Kbps - to 1Mbps. New line only did 1-1.25Mbps. Can now get 1.7Mbps on ADSL2 21CN but the error rate is mind bending!

Regards,

Gareth

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 26-Mar-13 14:14:52
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

In my area they initially forgot to apply the adsl power cutback on the fttc signal, so a load of adsl lines got knocked out.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 70/20, Current Attainable 68/23 frown
  Print Thread

Jump to