General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User carlos_uk
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 13:37:37
Print Post

Openreach laying cable between cabinets

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been patiently waiting for FTTC to be rolled out in my area, but have been unable to find any timescales, but my exchange has been enabled for some time now, and have noticed a new FTTC cabinet appear about a few miles away.

On Monday I noticed openreach running a large cable between the various cabinets on my estate, and was wondering if this could be anything to do with FTTC being installed on my estate?

I wish I pulled over and asked them now!!
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Wed 20-Mar-13 13:56:14
Print Post

Re: Openreach laying cable between cabinets

[re: carlos_uk] [link to this post]

"On your estate"? Probably somewhere, but on your particular line? Who knows. You need to find out which cabinet (your PCP, i.e. the old telephone cabinet) your line is on, and whether that cabinet has got, or is getting an FTTC twin cabinet. An FTTC cabinet a few miles away certainly won't be serving your line with FTTC, even if it is unfortunately linked to your PCP (because the line from cabinet > your house will be too long).

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Putting your postcode into there is probably the easiest way. If there is incomplete or confusing information then post it here, there are other ways (and more up-to-date information) to check.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Wed 20-Mar-13 14:00:57)

Standard User carlos_uk
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 14:38:14
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Hi,

As you will see below, I may be unlucky enough to not be connected via a cabinet frown

MK429FZ BEDFORD TOWN This postcode has some Exchange Only lines
This means there is currently no cabinet to run FTTC from.
Openreach may deploy FTTC/P in the future to this area. 30% M_D

MK429FZ BEDFORD TOWN FTTC, but not available yet 70% P37T

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User carlos_uk
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:05:31
Print Post

Also, when I type my phone number into the BT Wholesale availability checker, it doesn't come up with a cabinet number.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:08:52
Print Post

That pretty much shows it is an Exchange Only line, so probably will need to wait and see whether the BDUK project for your area helps

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User carlos_uk
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:15:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
That pretty much shows it is an Exchange Only line, so probably will need to wait and see whether the BDUK project for your area helps

That's what I was worried about, but I thought that exchange only lines were normally only found where you are really close to the exchange, where in fact I am really far away from it hence only getting about 2.5mbps.

I wonder if its anything to do with the copper overlay that was done as originally this estate was on TPON!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:17:29
Print Post

They can be at any distance, more likely for those next to exchange and clusters of properties built some years after most of the other properties in an area

TPON yes probably does not help.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User carlos_uk
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:21:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
They can be at any distance, more likely for those next to exchange and clusters of properties built some years after most of the other properties in an area

TPON yes probably does not help.

AFAIK all the houses were built at the same time, I suppose the only way I can find out for sure is to try and contact openreach themselves?
Standard User leexgx
(member) Sat 23-Mar-13 22:13:06
Print Post

you probly find all the lines on your estate are EO lines or your Block of houses that was made

i seen some messed up installs before
5 Openreach small cabs on one estate all within less then 300m of each other and 7 houses off an cab that was 1 mile away on the same estate as well, madness why Openreach allow that to happen, there should of been one main cab that served all the houses, and then charge them as Openreach would of made more money that way as it seems they was asking for the phone lines in blocks of 5 or 10s at an time instead of building the houses and doing them all at once as its normally done.

and around where i am one large estate runs off 2 exchanges 60% of it runs of one that is more then 3 miles away and the other one less then 1-2miles away (you can see how happy the 60% are with 0.3-1mb connections)

when they Should of paid Openreach to install One cab for the hole estate

Edited by leexgx (Sat 23-Mar-13 22:16:24)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 24-Mar-13 09:48:41
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
you probly find all the lines on your estate are EO lines or your Block of houses that was made

i seen some messed up installs before
5 Openreach small cabs on one estate all within less then 300m of each other and 7 houses off an cab that was 1 mile away on the same estate as well, madness why Openreach allow that to happen, there should of been one main cab that served all the houses, and then charge them as Openreach would of made more money that way as it seems they was asking for the phone lines in blocks of 5 or 10s at an time instead of building the houses and doing them all at once as its normally done.

That's generally what happens with new developments. They build in phases and sell the houses in blocks which is why the phone lines get installed in blocks. I don't think many people who buy houses in the early phases would be happy to wait for the whole development to be completed before they could have a phone line installed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to