General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gunsmoke
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:38:48
Print Post

FTTP extension kit

[link to this post]

Hi

Could anyone point me in the right direction of where an extension kit can be routed from the external FTTP box please?

Just had the fibre blown to the outside of the house, but its outside a bathroom. I have heard there is a fibre extension they can run, but I'm wondering what its limitations are.

Can it run round the outside of the house, then in somewhere else? Does it have to go in where the existing external fibre is? I'm guessing there may be curve radius issues with corners too?

Thanks
GunSmoke
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Mar-13 12:21:19
Print Post

Re: FTTP extension kit

[re: gunsmoke] [link to this post]

Have Openreach blown this fibre, and if so did they decide where their kit is going inside the house before doing it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User gunsmoke
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-13 12:41:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm guessing that either Openreach or one of their contractors put it there.

They have not spoken to anyone at my house about their plans.

The fibre also passes through the branches of a tree - not something I would have thought was a good idea

GunSmoke

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-13 13:06:45
Print Post

The BT ONT can go up to around 30m from the external termination point. But the fibre cable connecting the external box/ONT will need to come inside close to wherever the external box is already. It can then be run through walls etc. internally and is about the same thickness as Cat5e cable.

It's fairly flexible in terms of bends (the actual fibre is very well protected) - mine does a loop up to the ONT and is stapled.

Also remember you need a power supply + LAN connection for your router when you tell the engineer where you want the ONT. It's also worth having near your master socket for when they activate the telephone over fibre.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Mar-13 13:36:54
Print Post

Sounds a bit thoughtless in both respects.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 22-Mar-13 18:13:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sounds a bit thoughtless in both respects.

I couldn't care less where it terminated, fiber is fiber afterall laugh

They will route it via the internal fiber to wherever you like as I recall.

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Mar-13 22:37:46
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Maybe the OP doesn't want the bathroom ruined. They can be very complex rooms these days with all sorts of boxing in, tiling, and hidden pipework that doesn't follow anything like the original obvious route.

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 22-Mar-13 23:00:46
Print Post

and there was me thinking it was a tin bath in the middle of the lounge wink

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Mar-13 00:34:12
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Coming back into fashion I believe, for guests to use before a dinner-party.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Mar-13 17:05:46
Print Post

Engineers doing the '1st stage' task of an FTTP install are tasked to provide the blown fibre tube to a customer splice point on the outside of the premises, do two splices, one at the fibre DP and another at the splitter node, and once done, check for traffic.

If the punter is in, then the engineer should discuss the positioning of the splice point with them. To be fair though, options are often limited. The engineer will want to make this as easy as possible for the next engineer, it *might* be them. However, since the punter isn't aware of the date of these 1st stage jobs, they often aren't in.

The 2nd stage task, fitting the ONTE, etc. Will require the engineer to provide a ruggedised fibre feed from the CSP to the position of the ONTE. These are 30m max. Engineers would generally prefer to run this outside the building, as getting this cable to look neat/tidy going along a skirting, over doors is tricky.

If the CP has authorised it, a data extension kit from the ONTE to the router can be provided.

As for through the trees, it'll be fine. The overhead blown fibre tubing is very robust and will protect the loose fibre within.

Print Thread

Jump to