General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aks
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:12:47
Print Post

FTTC checker says YES, but BT sign up say NO

[link to this post]

The BTW checker says my line is enabled for:
WBC FTTC Up to 71.7 Up to 20 -- 26-Mar-13

Previous checks revealed that I was already enabled mnths ago. However, the BT sign up page says not available.

Now, my problem is that I'd quite like to get the £100 Sainsbury's voucher that I just read about tonight but the offer ends today.

Is there any way to get this fixed in the next two hours? I realise this is a bit hopeful!

---
Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:22:42
Print Post

Re: FTTC checker says YES, but BT sign up say NO

[re: aks] [link to this post]

No frown.

But have you tried any other ISP just to see if it is available from them. In other words, to test which is right?

Did you use your phone number in the BTW checker, or just your postcode? If postcode, try the full address. Postcode can be inaccurate as there are often several cabinets serving it, not all of them necessarily enabled.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 25-Mar-13 22:22:59)

Standard User aks
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:27:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I used my phone number, and BTW reported the cabinet.

I just had a chat session on the BT website, and they are saying I am not enabled, so I don't understand why the BTW site says I am (from tomorrow!, which is daft and previously reported immediate availability).

I have provided phone line number and house number/post code, and BT say I am not getting Infinity frown

---
Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:35:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by aks:
and previously reported immediate availability

Access to the FTTC cabinet is a limited resource, and the cabinets are not initially fully commissioned. For example, BT may not put the full set of tie cables between the PCP and FTTC cabinets, and only add more when the first batch is used up. The linecards within the FTTC cabinet are a similar story. The cabinet itself can end up completely used, so that Openreach end up having to install a second one.

When ant resource gets used up, it becomes unavailable in the DSL checker, and prevents you from ordering.
Standard User aks
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:49:30
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Sounds like that's what's happened, damn neibours must have beat me wink

So, if I sign up for regular BB tonight (to get vouchers etc), what are my chances of getting an Infinity upgrade soon?

---
Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:49:47
Print Post

Well if the BTW site says "from tomorrow", it seems unsurprising to me that the ISP says it isn't available.

But still, as a double-check, try somewhere like Plusnet. You don't have to order!

I must say the odour of rat is wafting past my nostrils though. That the Wholesale date should slip past the Retail deadline, which appears to have been hugely attractive. Perhaps beyond the Marketing Budget allocated.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User aks
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 22:58:49
Print Post

Indeed, a bit fishy. As I said, I looked a while back and it said I could get Infinity. Come to think of it, I had BT Infinity sales call me up just before Christmas and offer my a package, but don't know if that would have failed later in the process.

---
Tony
Standard User aks
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 23:00:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But still, as a double-check, try somewhere like Plusnet. You don't have to order!

I did, and PN says NO too!

---
Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 25-Mar-13 23:14:38
Print Post

It looks like the sales campaign before Christmas worked.

I don't know which type of FTTC cabinet you are on, but the Huawei 288 ones are initially provisioned with 100 connections. Those could well have been all taken up by now.

The slippage of one day in the recent estimate could be perfectly legitimate, as it requires Openreach upgrades to the FTTC cabinet and the additional ports connecting in the PCP cabinet. Given the huge demand that has fallen on Openreach in the last few days with lines down and all sorts of mayhem, I'm not too surprised.

So on reflection, I think you might find it slips a day every day, (as down as ASAP), until it happens.

Unfortunate for you frown.

The consolation is that it was a good deal, but not necessarily the best ISP. There will be other deals, with many ISPs, so keep looking around if money is the prime criterion.

Did you tell us the exchange?

Standard User aks
(member) Mon 25-Mar-13 23:26:43
Print Post

Ah, I thought I had included that: Harpenden, Cabinet 15.

---
Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to