General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Tue 26-Mar-13 20:24:11
Print Post

FTTC Enable date?

[link to this post]

Hey everyone this is driving me mad can anyone help?

BT have no information other than Iíll get it sometime this year... openreach have no information, superfast-wales (which is funding my area) have no information and my ISP has no information I'm stuck in the center next time I see an engineer at my cabinet I'll go and ask them haha

My exchange (Bangor Gwynedd LL57 2SX) was enabled for FTTC about a month ago, all of the street cabinets in Bangor including mine have been updated to the ECI 128 cabinet, all of the town centre cabinets have been enabled as I've checked an address there 80 down 20 up would be sooooo nice as I'm stuck on a 2mb connecion frown Any ideas of time scales or estimated dates?

Edited by ashmo (Tue 26-Mar-13 20:25:46)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-13 23:04:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC Enable date?

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

Keep checking the BT wholesale adsl checker with a BT number or use the address checker if your phone is with Sky/TT on full llu.

The checker will say when the service will go live, have to wait till then.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 15:45:26
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Is there like a norm time frame from when the exchange is enabled and cabinets getting installed to being fully enabled?

As the exchange was enabled at the same time my cabinet was getting installed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Mar-13 16:10:03
Print Post

There is no normal timeframe. Any one cabinet can suffer a number of delays.

BT have said that exchanges will go live when at least 10 cabinets are ready, but there have been examples with fewer cabinets.

BT have published information that suggests that enabling an exchange is a 3 month process (including both exchange & cabinets), after more months of planning. Yet some cabinets in an area can be left until later phases, while others can be left out entrely.

My cabinet went live about 4 months after the other local ones, despite being physically installed at the same time. The delay was in getting power to the cabinet - which took at least 3 different sets of roadworks, even though the cabinet was sited right next to a lit signpost!

Other cabinets have seen delays of 6 months for power or for getting the fibre through damaged ducts. Some councils can hold up roadworks for many months - especially for busy roads, or requests to wait for school holidays (or even for the Olympics or the Olympic Torch).

Some cabinets have been on the regular "date put back 3 months again" trip. They still aren't live.

The worst case is that some places have had their installed cabinets removed, after being determined to be financially nonviable after all.
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 20:24:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Pretty sure my cabinet is now fully installed over the last month or so they dug up the path around it about 4 times haha hopefully will soon be switched over from my slow 2mb connection smile
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 27-Mar-13 21:37:02
Print Post

Bangor is being done under BDUK funding and it appears that under the contract the Openreach cannot publish info on it's site.

Bangor exchange went live really quickly after the contract was finalised so I suspect the first Cabinets were rushed through to give "political photo opportunities" the rest are likely waiting for the fibre to be connected up to the exchange.

The last weeks weather won't have helped timescales as many engineers will be out coping with the snow damage across the whole of north Wales.

Since the ASA ruling on not missing dates BT has been very shy of giving any date info in case it breaches the ruling. All published dates were pushed back 3 months.
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 22:29:39
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Do you know what date the Bangor exhange was acttualy enabled as most of the town center address can get fiber now I'm guessing mine will be around June frown
  Print Thread

Jump to