General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User don0301
(member) Sat 30-Mar-13 17:52:34
Print Post

New FTTC order

[link to this post]

As per my Colchester Council thread.

I've now got FTTC on order from PlusNet.

Engineer booked for morning 10 Apr.

I've asked for the extension kit, as the Master socket is in my hall, and I want the router/box/whatever they install in my office (front of house) on the first floor. I would prefer cabling external to the house, not wires running around inside. Is that possible or depends on the Engineer?

Is there anything I should be thinking about/asking for prior to the visit?

Thanks in advance.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 30-Mar-13 18:05:43
Print Post

Re: New FTTC order

[re: don0301] [link to this post]

Unlikely, the cable used in data extensionss is internal grade and not external. I have seen it break down after a little over a year (two summers).

I would suggest putting the modem where the current master is - less chance of interference from domestic appliances, and then run an Ethernet extension using external Cat5e on your chosen route.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:33:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

According to Zarjaz, who is likely to know tongue, the Home Wiring Solution that gets ordered, (of which the internal data extension cable is one version), can be wired externally at the engineer's discretion, using standard van stock of external grade cable.

Assuming it is an Openreach engineer doing the job, there should be no problem. If it's a Quinns or Kelly person, it may be a different matter.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Apr-13 14:50:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Recall the same been mentioned in the past, though with the external cabling they will keep the amount inside the property to a minimum

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Itauthority
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 15:53:56
Print Post

You could consider using a wireless solution. Alternatively, at my home, I use mains circuit plugs to provide a wired solution to my home office for when I work from home.

This runs voice traffic with no issues for me. My router is downstairs and my PC's is upstairs. Worth considering.

You buy these plugs for about £90 per pair and the each have a network port. You plug one in next to the router and the other next to your PC. Then patch into the plugs and they run your network traffic around your home via the mains circuit.
Standard User don0301
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:47:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
According to Zarjaz, who is likely to know tongue, the Home Wiring Solution that gets ordered, (of which the internal data extension cable is one version), can be wired externally at the engineer's discretion, using standard van stock of external grade cable.

Assuming it is an Openreach engineer doing the job, there should be no problem. If it's a Quinns or Kelly person, it may be a different matter.

Yeah, thought I had read something about this before. I've asked PlusNet to order the 'extension kit'.

Is it worth telling PlusNet what I want prior? Or is it like you said, a case of whoever turns up (which seems very lottery like) deciding on the day?

Standard User don0301
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:48:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Recall the same been mentioned in the past, though with the external cabling they will keep the amount inside the property to a minimum

Thought I had seen something about it before, was why I was asking.

I really don't want internal cabling running messily around the house if I can help it.

Standard User trevstan
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 19:59:18
Print Post

I ordered the data extension kit via Plusnet and when the OR engineer turned up said I was down for a basic install however Plusnet said it was down on the order form so dunno who to believe... I did however sort all mine out after the install just wish I planned ahead before the install.

Anyhow like you said it's a lottery on if the engineer can be bothered and/or has enough time.

Good luck on the install smile!

Edited by trevstan (Mon 01-Apr-13 20:04:30)

Print Thread

Jump to