General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Computerman142
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:00:53
Print Post

Will the engineer let me have fibre though I moved socket?

[link to this post]

Hi there

About a year ago I moved my master socket into a different room, while I moved it I also replaced it with the new BT Openreach branded one. Between the new master socket and where the line comes in I have used aluminum alarm cable which is working well. But I am wondering will the fibre engineer still let me have fibre optic even though I have moved my master socket and upgraded it to a new one myself. Or will he/she not care about it and carry on installing a new filtered VDSL faceplate? Or will they want to rip it all out and re do all the wiring again which I don't want them to do?

Thanks
Standard User arendall667
(regular) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:56:43
Print Post

Re: Will the engineer let me have fibre though I moved socke

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

I think you may have violated BT’s terms of service by moving the master socket. I think in layman’s terms only BT engineers are supposed to service / change anything up to and including the master socket.

The following comments come from Thinkbroadband’s guides to faceplates (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/bt-master-socket.html) and fitting a new face plate (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/install.html#226).

“A Standard rectangular faceplate is shown (left) removed from the master socket (centre) and back-box (right). You should not remove the master socket from the back-box as this is BT property and should be opened by engineers only.”

&

“This is a master socket with its faceplate lifted off. ON NO ACCOUNT DISMANTLE THE WALL SOCKET ANY FURTHER. Consumers can change the faceplate but the part screwed to the wall must be maintained by BT.”

I believe I have also read that aluminium does not conduct ADSL signals as well as copper but this may not matter due to the short length of cable involved (I think the article was about aluminium vs copper phone lines and the SNR values for each).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Mar-13 23:41:54
Print Post

[re: arendall667] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arendall667:
The following comments come from Thinkbroadband’s guides to faceplates ( http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/bt-master-socket... ) and fitting a new face plate ( http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/install.h... ).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Mar-13 23:45:01
Print Post

I imagine they will put the master socket back where it was to start with and run an extension socket to the new location. The cable you have used could have a detrimental effect on your service. Why did you not use telephone cable or CAT5/5e/6/etc?

Edited by worldofadsl (Sat 30-Mar-13 23:46:22)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Mar-13 23:59:49
Print Post

Rip it out and or charge you.

Since when was alarm cable suitable for a complex rf signal?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Computerman142
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 10:09:44
Print Post

Hi there

Thanks for your replies

I guess that means I am screwed then, as I don't want them to rip it all out as I originally moved the master socket as it was in the most stupid place and all the wires that I put in aren't easily accessible. So I guess the wont let me have fibre or will they? And as for the alarm wire, didn't know what else to use, when we move the socket it looked like there was a small length of alarm cable between the small junction box where the line comes in to the master socket.

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 10:27:11
Print Post

He may revert your master to the original location and install there. But be prepared for a charge and maybe a warning letter from BT.

Unless he is having a really bad day, he should still install but on his terms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Basil1234
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 10:36:20
Print Post

they will let you have it where you like! but upto the master socket is there property and their responsibility so when you contact and it has gone wrong they have to come out to fix it.
my bet will be they will rip out your little fix put it right with there own cable etc and then send you a bill for their work at whatever they charge an hour and that probably be expensive.
simple thing have them out to do fttc see what happens but remember the engineers are trained not to talk about costs and money e.g. some people have phoned up for a fault turned out it was a fault on their wiring after the master socket and nothing was said but a £99 bill was sent out by bt.
example
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t...

also hope doesn't stuff up install as they have all necessary gear on board to do it and extra time as well.
but i think you maybe facing extra bill at worse, you may get lucky though and they just put right with no charge but i would be surprised this is bt!
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Mar-13 10:54:38
Print Post

You used ali cabling by choice?
That's crazy. There's nothing worse for broadband.
Standard User Basil1234
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 11:00:37
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

yes he is austerity cabling as he couldn't afford copper or cat5e that required buying some lol smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to