General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 22:54:23
Print Post

FTTC Master Socket Query

[link to this post]

Hi all, my installation is due on the 4th of April and I lack the two plug sockets next to the master socket; a need that hopefully a potential Home Hub 4 might address. I know it is possible to have an extension converted into a new master, but my master is the sole connection in the home. If I ask, will the engineer physically install a new socket elsewhere and then convert it to a new master or is it a case of using the data extension kit? If it helps, the house was built 2003

Patiently waiting for the day when I can order FTTC : /
BT [6.8Mbps Download] [0.7Mbps Upload]
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Mar-13 00:00:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC Master Socket Query

[re: Crusiux] [link to this post]

Data extension kit time

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 08:40:51
Print Post

a single power socket with a 2-way or greater adaptor works too, but perhaps you don't have any mains socket near the master.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 09:00:46
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

There is a single socket next to the master but I'd like to avoid the use of adapters if possible. There's a double socket at the end of the room so I'll extend to over there I think. If so, would it be better for me to have the modem next to the master and then a wire (I believe its Cat5e?) connecting to the Hub at the double socket 11m away or to use the data extension kit and have the modem and Hub at the double socket?

Standard User Peterswest
(learned) Sun 31-Mar-13 09:11:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On the subject of data extension kits.......which way is better , to get the installer to put the phone master socket near your router location ( computer) , or run an Ethernet from the modem after placing next to the original master socket?
Is there any noticeable difference between running a lengthened telephone cable around your house , or the possibility of a 25m Ethernet run ?

Thanks

Pete
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Mar-13 09:52:53
Print Post

[re: Peterswest] [link to this post]

25m of ethernet no lose of speed

Telephone wiring may impact speed, vdsl likes as short wiring as possible

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Sun 31-Mar-13 10:48:09)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 11:05:30
Print Post

The power requirement of the modem and router are tiny, so one socket will easily power both via a 2-way adaptor or an extension multiway. Seems a simple solution.

It's best to have the modem close to the master and have ethernet cable do the rest, although the 11m of data extension kit shouldn't be a big deal compared to the line length to the cabinet.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 31-Mar-13 11:54:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Crusiux:
There is a single socket next to the master but I'd like to avoid the use of adapters if possible. There's a double socket at the end of the room so I'll extend to over there I think. If so, would it be better for me to have the modem next to the master and then a wire (I believe its Cat5e?) connecting to the Hub at the double socket 11m away or to use the data extension kit and have the modem and Hub at the double socket?

If you're competent with electrical wiring or know someone who is then you can use one of these* , if you're not then there are these* that simply plug in, although I'm sure I've seen just a double socket version somewhere.

* Presuming space allows

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:09:24
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In the infinite wisdom of the planners, the master socket was installed on the exterior wall to which our lounge door opens so space is a little tight. I'm not sure have many door impacts the OR modem is rated for! Plus, its right next to a long radiator which I hear impacts wireless connection. I think its better that I use the existing double socket just to be safe, although that kit you linked could come in handy!

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:11:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I assume I'll have to redo the Ethernet later as the OR engineer will prefer to use the data extension kit? If its too much hassle, I'll just go with the extension kit. Like you say, the speed impact should be minimal.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to