General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Argonaut1969
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 12:55:28
Print Post

FTTC (Cabinet Number)

[link to this post]

I am surrounded by FTTC enabled boxes yet I cannot access Fibre optic broadband. I know my exchange (Streatham) has been 'accepting orders' for some time. How do find out which cabinet I am attached to, and if that cabinet will, or can, be fibre enabled. If a) I live too far from a cabinet to receive Fibre, or b) that my cabinet is not viable / economical to upgrade, I would like to know so I can try do something about it (apart from checking BT's checker!). Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:00:03
Print Post

Re: FTTC (Cabinet Number)

[re: Argonaut1969] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html The BT wholesale checker on that link should show the cabinet number, if it gives no number it usually means you have an Exchange Only line

If you get a cabinet number, then its time to start finding out if inside the commercial deployment zone or part of your county councils project area

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:00:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Argonaut1969:
How do find out which cabinet I am attached to

Assuming your voice service isn't with TalkTalk or Sky use the number checker:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Right at the top of the screen it says the cabinet number your line is on, above the table.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds ~46 / ~8.5 Mbps - Sync 48.9 / 10 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> Draytek 2820 -> Airport Extreme -> Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:06:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you - there is no number so I might have an exchange line only - what does that mean? Is that a bad a or a good thing? Many thanks
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:07:20
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thank you I have checked, and there is no number. I might have an exchange line only - I am not sure what that means.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:27:28
Print Post

Sometimes the checker does not give a cabinet number even though you may be on a cabinet.

Try this checker, it works off the December 2011 data, so it may show whether you're on an exchange only line or not.

Due to interference regulations they are not allowed to install FTTC equipment inside an exchange, so this means exchange lines can not get FTTC. However there are various options being looked into. Amongst these options are to install a cabinet outside the exchange, or to run in FTTP to exchange only premises, but there's no telling what option will be used, if any.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:31:56
Print Post

If correct it is a bad thing and more complex to get you better broadband so towards end of the queue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 15:11:05
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks. I checked the checker and there were two results - they are below:

Service Type
This postcode has some Exchange Only lines. This means there is currently no cabinet to run FTTC from. Openreach may deploy FTTC/P in the future to this area.
Probability
100%
Cabinet
M_A

The January 2013 data says FTTC / P is available subject to the installation of cabinets.

Your explanation has helped enormously as it would seem that I am dependent on the installation of a new cabinet (either directly to the property or the Streatham exchange).

Many thanks,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:53:27
Print Post

Yes, unfortunately the M_A means you are on an Exchange Only line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to