General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User begerac
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 17:31:58
Print Post

Early FTTC or being too hopeful?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Within the last few weeks it was announced that Kent KCC has signed with BT for the BDUK Project.

Im on the Hawkinge exchange and am hopeful that FTTC will eventually be installed here under the BDUK Scheme.

I was not expecting any movement on this until 2014 realistically.

However looking on roadworks.org

For my local cabinet and a few others in hawkinge this entry for BT works has appeared. Due to happen in the next few days

STREET CABINET INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay duct, lay concrete plinth (3 days to set) and stand cabinet, check & clear site. Approx 10m Of Duct In F/Way

These are right next to the existing cabs.

Does this sound like FTTC cabs coming early or am I too hopeful?

The BT checker does not mention FTTC nor does openreach for this exchange, I just though it was a coincidence
Standard User mark90997
(learned) Sun 31-Mar-13 18:15:50
Print Post

Re: Early FTTC or being too hopeful?

[re: begerac] [link to this post]

Same thing I asked the other day for my town: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4223616-re-...

And yes that should be FTTC.
Standard User NGA
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 18:24:19
Print Post

I would say this pretty much means that the FTTC cabinets in your area are being installed....just remember that the install of the cabinet is only one part of the equation...my cabinet was installed in July 2012, but only started accepting orders in March 2013 (although other cabs in the same town were also installed in July 2012, but started accepting orders in October 2012).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User begerac
(newbie) Wed 03-Apr-13 10:32:13
Print Post

[re: NGA] [link to this post]

Work has started today and engineers confirmed it is FTTC Cabs being install - so good news smile

Still the openreach site and adsl checkers indicate no plans for FTTC for the Hawkinge Exchange so seems slightly odd. But not complaining least its progress.
Standard User begerac
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-13 18:38:49
Print Post

Well now 3 FTTC Cabs have appeared around the village.

However the BT Openreach Where and When page still says the Exchange is not in current roll out plans. The BT DSL Checker does not mention fibre either.

Emailed openreach no reply (after 3 weeks) and the local BDUK Contact KCC say nothing has been commissioned for Hawkinge.

So im pleased cabs are appearing but seems a little strange as to a live date, and who is commissioning this i.e BT Commercial, BDUK or a Private Scheme
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 14-Apr-13 21:59:22
Print Post

The live date will come in a few weeks/months when openreach update their checkers, the where and when site will proably update for all the exchanges in kent.

Openreach will not reply to you if your exchange is not in their plans on the where and when site.

Bagnor in Wales had quite a few cabs appearing before the annoucements by the supefast wales project, so its just Openreach getting on with the Kent project.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Sun 12-May-13 23:15:35
Print Post

Spotted 2 of them on Aerodrome road.
Where's the 3rd one?

I'd assume BDUK but seems strange it happened so quickly after signing of the contract.
Hawkinge wasn't on the scheduled list on 'this' map.

Need the one by the traffic lights to go in for me frown
Standard User begerac
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 21:20:15
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

The other one is at the end of page road Corbett drive area.

Unfortunately from speaking to the KCC BDUK people via email and Openreach - apparently these 3 cabs were installed by BTs contractors for the area without approval and it sounds like they are likely to sit there for a while without much else being done. No fibre has been run from the exchange to these cabs.

BT gave me a estimated date of go live of Sep 2014 - hopefully that's worst case and it will be earlier.

Im apparently on CAB 6 which is on Haven drive even though the Page road Cab is much nearer.

At least some work has been done but if what I was told by KCC/Openreach is correct it is still quite some time off before services will start to go live.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 13-May-13 21:57:02
Print Post

Thanks for the info. Bit depressing but at least you have it confirmed that it is scheduled.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:24:15
Print Post

Well I see today that they have started work on my cabinet by the traffic lights.

Hard to believe the contractors are still working unapproved so maybe things are moving quicker than expected?

Fingers crossed!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to