General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Mon 01-Apr-13 21:44:31
Print Post

Morning install slots more reliable than afternoon?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I've just ordered Infinity with an install date of 17th April 1pm - 6pm. I'm going to have to book the afternoon off work but am slightly concerned as have read about quite a lot of no shows from Openreach engineers.

Most of the posts I have read seem to be from people with afternoon slots. I'm just wondering whether it would be worth me changing to a morning slot to increase my chances of things going smoothly? Or am i just worrying for nothing?
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:17:33
Print Post

Re: Morning install slots more reliable than afternoon?

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

not sure but ordered SKY for and 8:30am slot and saw him waiting there as I did the school run. It may be like the flights from A to B. If during the day there is a problem then the afternoon/evening flights are late or cancelled, so I would not get a 4pm slot if I were you

IanD
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Tue 02-Apr-13 02:09:56
Print Post

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

I wouldn't worry about whether the time of the appointment changes the quality of your connection, either you'll get a good engineer or you won't. If you ask a few questions and say a few things about the state of FTTC where you live then it'll probably perk them up, i.e. they'll be a bit more precise than when dealing with someone who doesn't know what a phone line is or where it goes, etc.

If you get proper OR and not one of the contractors then I bet it'll be fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:27:42
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

either you'll get a good engineer or you won't. I think he's worried about not getting an engineer at all ~ a very common problem it seems.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Apr-13 09:59:03
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I think he's worried about not getting an engineer at all ~ a very common problem it seems.
Not really.

It is one of the ones that get reported on here, but even in comparison to the numbers of good and poor installations reported I feel it is quite infrequent.

There are many thousands per day going in. If it was a common problem it would have hit the national press long ago.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 03-Apr-13 13:44:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

not so sure, there has been a fair few reports although admittedly they have died down lately but was many over the winter.

Whilst if compare to the competition eg. VM, the number of no shows reported is almost non existant.

I would defenitly get a AM appointment if a choice is given. However its quite possible a late AM appointment is worse than an early PM one.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 70/20, Current Attainable 68/23 frown

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 03-Apr-13 13:44:55)

Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Wed 03-Apr-13 20:27:14
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I swapped to a morning appointment for piece of mind. Sets my install back two days to a Friday but i'll take the whole day off wink

James
  Print Thread

Jump to