General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mfrank
(newbie) Wed 03-Apr-13 12:01:53
Print Post

FTTC - Finchampstead - Cabinet 2 (EVERSLEY)

[link to this post]

Hello -

My house is served by the Eversley exchange, cabinet 2 - both of which are enabled for FTTC fibre. I believe the cabinet was enabled at the start of this year.

However, when I use the BT Infinity phone number checker it says that BT Infinity isn't available to me.

My house is close to cabinet 2 - only 0.2 miles up the road, and in another forum on this board I was told that the cabinet is unlikely to be fully utilised yet.

Can anyone help suggest why BT Infinity still shows as unavailable for my property in that case? Is there any way I could find out the real reason?

Thanks!
mfrank
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Wed 03-Apr-13 12:15:21
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Finchampstead - Cabinet 2 (EVERSLEY)

[re: mfrank] [link to this post]

Its probably a large Huawei cabinet which can service upto 288 lines when fully loaded. Cabinets are provisioned with limited capacity and additional capacity is built as and when required
I susspect this cabinet is waiting expansion which may just require the installation of another service card and filters, or may need additional copper tie cables to link it to the main cabinet.
just a case of keep checking for availability
Standard User mfrank
(newbie) Wed 03-Apr-13 13:20:07
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble.

Is there anyway I have of confirming this with BT do you think? And do you know how they decide to add more capacity? If they don't even let you order then how do they know there is more demand?

Thanks!
mfrank

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bkaz
(regular) Wed 03-Apr-13 13:49:58
Print Post

try <nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk>.

My boss told me, career is a verb.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Wed 03-Apr-13 14:40:48
Print Post

Openteach will know and will update the availability database . Capacity will be added as orders are accepted until a cabinet is fully loaded, then a decision is made to added another cabinet, but I doubt yours is anywhere near that point yet.
Standard User mfrank
(newbie) Wed 03-Apr-13 20:19:20
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses guys.

I emailed OpenReach anyway just to see, and fingers crossed Cabinet 2 shows some availability again soon! smile
Standard User leaskovski
(regular) Thu 18-Apr-13 16:48:02
Print Post

Hi Mr Frank,

I too am in Finch, though Im connected to Cab 3. Im seeing issues with orders being placed. Basically the order gets placed but then Openreach cancel it saying that the Cab doesnt have any ports available. Basically because we are so far away from the exchange, lots of people in the area are taking up fibre and thus the cabs are getting full quickly.

Im sorry to say, but I think you might be in the same boat as me that you arent going to get Fibre any time soon.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Apr-13 20:07:16
Print Post

[re: leaskovski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leaskovski:
I too am in Finch, though Im connected to Cab 3. Im seeing issues with orders being placed. Basically the order gets placed but then Openreach cancel it saying that the Cab doesnt have any ports available. Basically because we are so far away from the exchange, lots of people in the area are taking up fibre and thus the cabs are getting full quickly.

It would be worth trying another ISP perhaps. A "second choice" as if the order works you will have to stay with it for the minimum term.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User leaskovski
(member) Thu 18-Apr-13 22:13:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thats something Im worried about as I dont particularly want to change my number as moving from sky to say plusnet would result in that happening.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Apr-13 22:51:43
Print Post

[re: leaskovski] [link to this post]

Was working in Cab 3 this afternoon, they are half way through the third 100 pair FTTC tail strip, the contractor was connecting up number 257, order now !

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to