General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Greg
(regular) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:34:26
Print Post

Master socket worries (pre FTTC install)

[link to this post]

Hi,

Got an FTTC install coming up currently my setup is as follows :

(1) 8 year or so old copper from pole to master socket

then

(2) ADSL was an early engineer install with the ADSL v1.0 faceplate

then

(3) Pre installed in to the back of the master socket is a 4meter or so run of aluminium wire to an extension socket with a microfilter and a telephone socket doubler for cordless phone + Alarm

and

(4) finally a 3 meter or so run of copper phone wire to another extension in the same room as (3) with a microfilter for a sky hd box.

My estimated download speed via the usual BT tools for ADSL is 4Mb with a download range between 3Mb and 7Mb. My actual usual connection speed is 5Mb.

My estimated connection speed for FTTC is 80/20.

My question is (after reading Computermans) post trail is will the aluminium impact my connection speed and should I consider making a change prior to install ? I'm nervous about touching anything as everything is working and the existing extensions are connected into the rear of the master socket rather than the front.

I know the microfilters probably arent needed with the BT installed faceplate, was me thinking it wouldn't do any harm and a safe place to keep the filters.

Distance from fttc cabinet is less than 100meters.

Edited by Greg (Wed 03-Apr-13 19:37:01)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:55:05
Print Post

Re: Master socket worries (pre FTTC install)

[re: Greg] [link to this post]

It is not te aluminium that causes problems on short runs but teh use of non-twisted pair cables.

However, if you are conneccting the modem to the master directly then there will be no issue anyway. Out of interest, is the Al cable 'phone or alarm type? Easlity identified by the colours.

How is your alarm connected? It should be hard wired from the line and not through a dangly filter, doubler or removable faceplate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Greg
(regular) Wed 03-Apr-13 20:19:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
It is not te aluminium that causes problems on short runs but teh use of non-twisted pair cables.

However, if you are conneccting the modem to the master directly then there will be no issue anyway. Out of interest, is the Al cable 'phone or alarm type? Easlity identified by the colours.

How is your alarm connected? It should be hard wired from the line and not through a dangly filter, doubler or removable faceplate.

Phone type cable via telephone line cord with rj11 at one end and the standard bt connector at the other, the alarm is one of the Chubb do it yourself wireless ones the the control box having an optional telephone line cord for the box to ring me if the alarm is going, remote alarm disable/enable. Nothing fancy just something to make us less attractive an option compared to neighbours without anything visible/audible.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(member) Wed 03-Apr-13 20:42:00
Print Post

BT have never used aluminium internal wiring. I have never seen aluminium internal wiring from BT or any provider. If it has a silver appearance, It will be tinned copper.

Edited by partial (Wed 03-Apr-13 20:43:02)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 20:50:45
Print Post

the aluminium / alarm cable is after the master socket ? in which case it doesn't matter, the VDSL signal terminates at the master.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Apr-13 21:00:28
Print Post

As Yarwell has said, if your current ADSL equipment is connected via the filtered front plate, then what is connected after is of no consequence.

100m to the cab, no wonder they predict 80/20. Smoke that internet, like it ain't no thang ! smile

Standard User Greg
(regular) Wed 03-Apr-13 21:20:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
As Yarwell has said, if your current ADSL equipment is connected via the filtered front plate, then what is connected after is of no consequence.

100m to the cab, no wonder they predict 80/20. Smoke that internet, like it ain't no thang ! smile

LOL after years of slow adsl I intend to, dont you worry smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 23:34:04
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

BT may not have done and I don't believe CW1308 allows it. However, I have come across some "equivalent to CW1308" internal cable which was aluminium. It is out there and possibly sold by the discount sheds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to