General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Thu 04-Apr-13 10:48:20
Print Post

FTTC understanding sync speeds and overheads etc.

[link to this post]

I had FTTC installed yesterday and I have to say that I'm most impressed. 73mbps down and the top end of 17mbps up with a 10ms ping.

I have the ECI modem, so I need to make a UART connection to hack it. Not wanting to risk going without internet should something go wrong, I've ordered another ECI modem to try it on (I chose to stick with ECI as they seemed cheaper, and it was my understanding you get an ECI modem if the VDSL kit in the cab is ECI).

Plus net report my line speed as 78mbps, estimates gave me 69mbps.

So what can I expect my sync to be? Can I expect it to get better or worse as time goes on? Just trying to familiarise myself with how FTTC works really.

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Apr-13 11:20:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC understanding sync speeds and overheads etc.

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

Probably not get better, you are pretty much at the top end now, so down is more likely, particular as cross talk increases as more people take FTTC in your area.

If the IP profile is 74,000 Kbps then the sync speed will be 74000/0.962= 76923 Kbps

It is very much a case of letting the connection run and see how if copes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Apr-13 12:54:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikehiow:
So what can I expect my sync to be? Can I expect it to get better or worse as time goes on?
Worse, probably. I don't mean that in a snide way it's just that most people who originally syncd below 80 have seen a significant drop as time went on. It's probably due to increasing cross-talk as more people adopt the service. I started off syncing at 80 (went live last May) but am now down to 71. Some of that might be due to the cold weather because speed usually is better during the summer.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Thu 04-Apr-13 12:55:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:10:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Probably not get better, you are pretty much at the top end now, so down is more likely, particular as cross talk increases as more people take FTTC in your area.

Oddly, when I had FTTC installed Sept 2010, my speedtest results were 27-29 ish, and they stayed that way until last autumn, when I started noticing 32-34 was typical.
I don't run speed tests that often though, call me old fashioned, but I just sort of use the connection, and don't worry about every last Mb/s

(line length at least 1km)
Standard User simon194
(committed) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:19:54
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Mine started at 66 Mbps and now it's down to 54 Mbps which is now quite a bit below the estimated speed. Mind you it hasn't been helped by the local council replacing the sodium street lights with LED lights.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:34:00
Print Post

Run the BTW performance test and when it finishes click the Further Diagnostics at the bottom. That will give you a text box with the downstream IP Profile. Mutilply that by 1.033 and you get you approximate sync. (IP Profile is 0.9679 of sync).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:44:09
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Mine started at 66 Mbps and now it's down to 54 Mbps which is now quite a bit below the estimated speed. Mind you it hasn't been helped by the local council replacing the sodium street lights with LED lights.
Mine is more in line with initial estimates and my actual throughput hasn't dropped as much as the sync. That tends to suggest that I've mostly lost speed that was being lost to errors anyway.

When I had an 80Mb/s sync I was seeing 73Mb/s throughput.
On 71Mb/s sync I see 67Mb/s speeds.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:47:30
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

That change may have been the move from Profile 8c to Profile 17a in April 2012 which added more MHz to the signal used and benefited people

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:55:08
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Mind you it hasn't been helped by the local council replacing the sodium street lights with LED lights.

Why should LED street lighting impact VDSL (or ADSLx) performance?

I can see why "noisy" high pressure sodium "may" have an impact but LED should be relatively electrically "quiet".

And LED should be massively more energy efficient and last much, much longer.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Thu 04-Apr-13 15:02:22
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by mikehiow:
So what can I expect my sync to be? Can I expect it to get better or worse as time goes on?
Worse, probably. I don't mean that in a snide way it's just that most people who originally syncd below 80 have seen a significant drop as time went on. It's probably due to increasing cross-talk as more people adopt the service. I started off syncing at 80 (went live last May) but am now down to 71. Some of that might be due to the cold weather because speed usually is better during the summer.

There's supposed to be enough bandwidth at the cabinet for every connection at 80mb. Obviously the copper twin reduces the eventual speed to the home.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to