General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:34:28
Print Post

Now on BT FTTC!

[link to this post]

Have to say, Im really impressed!

Im getting download speed of over 53MB (BT estimated 51MB) and upload of over 13MB. Connection is rock solid stable. It is a world away from the adsl2 etc rubbish I had to put up with for the last few years.

All my phone and BB is bundled with one supplier which should cut down on the ridiculous 'ping pong' separate telephone provider and ISPs do when you do have issues.

The Home Hub 3 is utter pants though. Not even dual band never mind simultaneous dual band. It sometimes manages linked channels ie 3 & 7 wirelessly but will drop one channel after a few minutes. Using SSIDer I can see it only uses linked channels when signal strength goes from -29db to around -40db and drops the channel at -29db.

To top it all, BT forums say the HH3 doesnt handle multiple wireless connections very well so generally, wireless speed is 72mbps peaking at 150 to 300 sometimes! Im looking to replace the HH3 with a simultaneous dual band router asap.

I know some people arent happy with what Infinity 2 is delivering to them but, have to say, Im good.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:43:26
Print Post

Re: Now on BT FTTC!

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

If it is just the wireless capability that you have issues with then you could get yourself a stand alone dual band WAP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Thu 04-Apr-13 14:49:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If it is just the wireless capability that you have issues with then you could get yourself a stand alone dual band WAP.

I think the whole house would benefit from a better wireless router than the HH3. I was going for the Draytek 2750 as its a combined vdsl modem router but, it doesnt do simultaneous dual band.

So, looks like it'll be a Netgear WNDR 3700, 3800 or 4000.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asbokid
(member) Thu 04-Apr-13 15:15:23
Print Post

The Vigor 2750 and the 2850 are based on the Metanoia MT3301 chipset. Support for BT Openreach VDSL2 has been in 'beta' for a while. The Metanoia chipset doesn't perform quite as well as the Broadcom 6368 or the Lantiq VR9 chipsets found in the Openreach CPE.

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Thu 04-Apr-13 18:04:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Apr-13 16:32:17
Print Post

How much of your kit is 5GHz capable?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Apr-13 19:10:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by wobblyheed:
I think the whole house would benefit from a better wireless router than the HH3. I was going for the Draytek 2750 as its a combined vdsl modem router but, it doesnt do simultaneous dual band.

Having been a draytek fan for years, and currently running a 2820 connected to my openreach modem, I've just ordered an ASUS RT-N66U as reviewed by MrSaffron on this site. Its a lot cheaper than any draytek kit and I prefer connecting to the openreach modem rather than trying to replace.

For WiFi I would strongly recommend using inSSIDer (on Windows) or WiFi Scanner (Mac) to look at what is around you first, and see where the problem points are.

At 2.4 GHz using the 40mhz wide mode on N is generally very unsociable as you take over 2 channels and in a crowded area you'll find you get worse performance than a single channel at 20mhz.

At 5 GHz using 40mhz wide mode is obvious, but the higher frequency doesn't always get through the walls very well.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds ~46 / ~8.5 Mbps - Sync 48.9 / 10 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> Draytek 2820 -> Airport Extreme -> Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to