General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Apr-13 20:40:44
Print Post

RFS Date Passed

[link to this post]

The RFS for my exchange was March 2013 which has now passed, however it still shows on the checker as coming soon March 2013, do they update this at all? Or is it just a waiting game now?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Apr-13 22:15:24
Print Post

Re: RFS Date Passed

[re: colic] [link to this post]

Checking your exchange is pretty pointless, as there will be a lot of cabinets connected to it and often only a few go live initially. Other cabinets can be over a year later.

If you have a "BT line", i.e. not LLU with Sky/TT/C & W, see what this checker has to say about your telephone number.

Don't be surprised if it says 31/3/14 frown. That's a catch-all date because of people complaining about dates getting put back.

It may also give you your cabinet number, so you can go and find it and look out for engineering work to install the fibre twin nearby. Usually within 50 cable metres.

If you do have an LLU line use the same link but take the Address option. The pure postcode option is very unreliable as there can be more than one cabinet serving it, with differing dates.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Apr-13 09:09:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's interesting when I put my telephone number in (it is a BT line) it does not have any indication of an FTTC date. I have put a variety of phone numbers in who are served by the exchange and none of them have a date.

The two nearest cabinets have had a fibre twin next to them for at least two months now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 05-Apr-13 10:20:43
Print Post

Does it give a cabinet number?

When our area was done it took a long time for the checker to show estimates, and thus a forecast date, mine was in for about three months before showing estimates, then went live a few months later.

Another town nearby is being done now, and I've noticed the estimates appearing much quicker, even before the cabs even appeared.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Apr-13 10:42:44
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

what do cabinet numbers indicate though ?

on Exchange SHELDON is served by Cabinet 2

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Apr-13 11:53:00
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Does it give a cabinet number?

When our area was done it took a long time for the checker to show estimates, and thus a forecast date, mine was in for about three months before showing estimates, then went live a few months later.

Another town nearby is being done now, and I've noticed the estimates appearing much quicker, even before the cabs even appeared.

Yeah it gives a cabinet number which is bad news in a way, as when I went down the road this morning I looked at the cabinet numbers my nearest cabinet approx 100 meters away this is not the cabinet I am connected to. The cabinet i am connected to is well over 1,000 meters away, and when checking most of the houses around here are connected to that cabinet. The one nearest to me seems to serve the newer housing development with a very small number of homes. Checked 4 cabinets through phone numbers and none have a FTTC date at all.
Standard User 2pods
(member) Fri 05-Apr-13 13:07:30
Print Post

Are the cabinets marked with the numbers ?

For a 01475 Gourock exchange, mine is 11

Plusnet ADSL+
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 05-Apr-13 13:20:56
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
what do cabinet numbers indicate though ?

on Exchange SHELDON is served by Cabinet 2

A cabinet number indicates that you're at least on a cabinet and not an exchange only line.

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Fri 05-Apr-13 15:03:21
Print Post

[re: 2pods] [link to this post]

Usually
Standard User 2pods
(member) Fri 05-Apr-13 15:17:34
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I seem to have two cabinets between me and that one