General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Wed 10-Apr-13 10:37:25
Print Post

Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Fibre progress

[link to this post]

After a long time saying our village would likely never get fibre and hoping that the Government initiative would do something eventually, a couple of months back the BT who's getting what map suddenly started showing Hurstpierpoint (and the adjoining village of Henfield) as Future Exchanges by end of 2014. This doesn't seem connected to the West Sussex County Council initiative as I don't believe that has been agreed yet.

I'm not complaining of course except for the 2014 bit!

However, in the past couple of weeks shiny new fibre cabs have started appearing in the village! There is one fairly close to the exchange at the top of Cuckfield Road (ca BN6 9UY) where there wasn't a previous cab, and spotted another this morning at the top of my own road of College Lane (ca BN6 9AJ) (which would be the furthest cab from the exchange as the road is on the borders of the village) and that has been placed near to an old GPO cab that looked as though it was falling apart but that has been removed (there is another more modern one next to where that was and that is still there, you can just see it in the pic below at the right). The fibre cab has a Danger 240v sticker on but can't hear any fans running (see pic below). There may be others of course. The new cabs have no other markings on them for ID.

Is there any one out there that knows why they are appearing so early please? Is it a good sign, hopefully? I'm about 800m from that new cab and currently on about 8-10Mb/s ADSL2+ so should get a fair increase in speed.

College Lane Fibre Cab

TIA

Tony

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats

ZeN Active 40dB 2.9Km
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 3dB
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BattFink
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 12:20:45
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Fibre progress

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

If it's any help they did the same thing in Burgess Hill (e.g. cabinets started appearing 6-7 months before the exchange was due to go live)

I'd keep an eye out on the BT wholesale ADSL checker, you may find that you're line is FTTC "enabled" before the scheduled date (My BT infinity connection was connected 4 months before it was announced as available to order)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Apr-13 12:23:43
Print Post

After complaints about dates changing a lot, BT shuffled a lot of the dates to a long way in the future. So people are getting suprised by earlier than expected deployment in a few places lately.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Wed 10-Apr-13 13:40:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for both replies. I wondered if the proposed date some 20 months away was a bit pessimistic so will do as suggested and keep an eye on the checker and also put my ear to the cabinet while passing...

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats

ZeN Active 40dB 2.9Km
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 3dB
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 10-Apr-13 13:51:31)

Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Sun 19-May-13 07:20:33
Print Post

For anyone following this, the announcement in Feb 2013 was for the villages of Hurstpierpoint and the adjoining village of Henfield. I've just spotted that Henfield is now marked as Accepting Orders (that was also estimated at End 2014) on the Where and When BT site so hopefully Hurst won't be far behind. There are quite a few FTTC cabs around the village and have been for some weeks, mine apparently has power and fibre according to an OR engineer a week or so ago.

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex SDHRSTP, Cab 4
My Live Router Stats, Ping, Speed etc

ZeN Active 39dB 2.9Km ~10Mb/s
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 5dB

Edited by tbailey2 (Sun 19-May-13 07:23:38)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-May-13 11:54:11
Print Post

Maybe you'll have seen that West Sussex has just signed the BDUK contract, so will now start the detailed planning. Your original point is still true - that this must be a decision based on commercial-viability, rather than BDUK.

As Mr Saffron noted earlier, the dates listed on 'Where & When' are now some 3-6 months beyond the actual target date, to reduce complaints when some cabinets get delayed by technical problems.

BT continue to say that the commercial rollout will be complete by Spring 2014. That means that some exchanges will be listed as late 2014, when in reality they are already being worked on.
Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Sun 19-May-13 12:49:24
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Maybe you'll have seen that West Sussex has just signed the BDUK contract, so will now start the detailed planning. Your original point is still true - that this must be a decision based on commercial-viability, rather than BDUK.

As Mr Saffron noted earlier, the dates listed on 'Where & When' are now some 3-6 months beyond the actual target date, to reduce complaints when some cabinets get delayed by technical problems.

BT continue to say that the commercial rollout will be complete by Spring 2014. That means that some exchanges will be listed as late 2014, when in reality they are already being worked on.

Yes, I covered that BDUK announcement elsewhere here as did Andrew on the main site but the original announcement for this exchange (and for Henfield nearby) by BT was back in February some three months ahead of the BDUK decision.

An OR engineer working nearby last week said the twin FTTC cab at the top of the Lane already has fibre and power and can serve up to 200 users. Henfield seems to have gone from FE to AO in less than a week, if not quicker, as I didn't spot it in a CS state at all. The FTTC cab has a telephone line fed from Cab 4 if you look it up by postcode (BN6 9AB). Can't hear any fan noise as of three days ago though,

I have a query in with nga.enquiries on status from the 10th so likely have a while to wait for a response yet.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 20-May-13 11:07:27
Print Post

An update..

Found a bevy of OR vans and engineers (older, experienced) by the cab at the top of the road this morning. Friendly fortunately.

It seems that the work was originally supposed to have been completed in February but was abandoned as workmen could not locate the ducting/tubing they need to get through the village from Henfield where the fibre feed is actually coming from to a node here (not to the local exchange) and has already been partially routed. So the original OR guy was wrong as there is no fibre here yet.

These guys have been sent up from Eastbourne to try and sort the problem out. They said likely road works involved so nothing is going to happen any time soon. Still, better late than years late or never.

Tony

Standard User timl
(member) Mon 20-May-13 12:40:11
Print Post

How interesting... I'm in Sayers Common and my phone line is fed by the Hurstpierpoint exchange.

I've seen before were one exchange can give you phone and another gives you fibre so I wonder if they're going to run the fiber from Henfield to Sayers Common! That would be an interesting development for me!

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 20-May-13 16:39:07
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

HI

From what they said, it sounds as though it just isn't going to the exchange itself but to a node nearby from where it is distributed to, presumably, the area served by the exchange so you might be in luck. I'll ask if I see them again but no doubt someone else may have an idea. You'll be covered anyway by the new BDUK West Sussex agreement I guess.

Do you know what Cabinet ID you are on (put your telephone number into HERE and it will tell you).

Tony

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to