General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Thu 11-Apr-13 21:01:30
Print Post

Cab upgrade has resulted in BT IP Profile to drop

[link to this post]

Our local cabinet has been upgraded (or replaced) - all the lines locally were disconnected for 2 days. My line is now working again but my BT IP profile has dropped
from a stable 59.84 - 44.18 Mbps.

I'm with Plusnet, who have said that my speed may 'pick up' - e.g. back to 59.84 where it was for the last two months, however I'm doubtful.

Would you advise me to raise a fault to get the profile reset by Openreach?

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13634...
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Apr-13 21:12:37
Print Post

Re: Cab upgrade has resulted in BT IP Profile to drop

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

I would give it a couple of days and then raise a fault with Plusnet, who hopefully will get an Openreach engineer to come out, who should plug various things into your line and, if it all checks out, call Openreach to get it reset.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 10:55:00
Print Post

Has your latency/ping gone up by around 8-10ms as well?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 12:50:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes it's increased from around 16ms to now 23ms

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:31:20
Print Post

Your line has changed from "Fast Path" to "Interleaved". Those two things taken together are the indicators.

It may self-adjust back in a few days if you don't mess with the connection - just use it normally. If it doesn't after a couple of weeks then you need to ask Plusnet if they can get it reset.

The chances of the latter are rather remote - which isn't Plusnet's fault. It basically only gets done if the right sort of engineer on a fault call requests it from the the Openreach control centre. As far as BT Wholesale and Openreach are concerned you don't have a fault so Plusnet's reporting of it would be rejected. They would be told the DLM is just doing its job.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:02:34
Print Post

Thanks. I've already raised a fault with Plusnet, so you think it's likely it will be rejected. I do hope you're wrong!

The speed dropped by 20Mbps in two days after one of the two cabinet's was replaced. So one would think that they should 'fix' my connection back to where is was.

I presume you mean, don't reboot the modem - don't worry I won't touch it - thanks.

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 21:09:25
Print Post

It all depends on what has caused your speed to drop...

A drop from 59Mbps to 45Mbps is a loss of 24% bandwidth, which is at the high end of what could be explained by DLM turning on interleaving. As already mentioned, an increase of 8ms latency is also an indicator of DLM intervention.

So... prime suspicion is that you have suffered a large intervention from DLM - turning on a high level of interleaving and FEC. These add latency and steal bandwidth in order to reduce errors.

The question is... why?

If there is a real physical line problem (such as a fault in a crimped connection in the new cabinet) and it has caused the sync speed to drop, then that is a thing for Openreach to investigate and perhaps fix. DLM will probably have intervened, and there is no point in resetting it until the line problem is fixed.

On the other hand, if the replacement of the cabinet has induced lots of errors onto the line, but not actually caused a physical problems to the line itself, then you may be suffering because DLM has intervened in an attempt to eradicate those errors. DLM will reset itself within 2-4 weeks - and there is nothing that Plusnet alone can do to get it reset. A reset can only be requested by an Openreach engineer attending a fault - and even they can't always get the Openreach operations centre to perform the reset!

On the third hand, it might be a problem that has nothing to do with replacement of the cabinet, and you are suffering from crosstalk from a new FTTC customer which is interfering with your line - suspicious timing, but also a possibility. DLM may be playing a part here too, but a reset in this case wouldn't achieve anything. DLM would turn back on again within 48 hours, and intervene again.

The second of the three cases is the most likely, and the easiest way to check is to wait those 2-4 weeks. Even if Plusnet want Openreach to attend, I bet that Openreach themselves would want to wait a while.

Which cabinet was changed? FTTC or the PCP wiring cabinet?

And what was your original estimated speed?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 21:13:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by shalom2005:
I presume you mean, don't reboot the modem - don't worry I won't touch it - thanks.
Ah, yes and no!

If you haven't done that since it slowed down, I recommend you do turn it off for half a minute or so during daylight hours, and see how things are afterwards. Probably no different, and leave things alone afterwards unless something really bad results. A small chance things will be better, though not back up to what it was. That needs waiting for, as earlier, because of the interleaving.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 21:35:42
Print Post

WWWombat's post wasn't there when I started my previous one, and I've only just come back and seen it.

His is a much more comprehensive explanation than I gave of what may have happened smile.

Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 22:05:28
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. I've only just seen them myself. The router rebooted & I lost my connection for an hour!

The FTTC cab was not replaced but they replaced an old cabinet (I presume PCP wiring) with a new one. But as I said several hundred lines were disconnected (without any warning) for 2 days.

I have only rebooted the modem once & the BT IP Profile has remained at 37.5 (from 59.41),
I know you both said wait a few days/weeks but I raised the ticket before asking here. I'd like to try to get it fixed if there's a chance rather than wait. My previuos connection was solid with no dropped connections at all, so I know that it's all cabinet related. I'll give feedback what happens on this thread for others to read.

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to