General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oubase
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:42:21
Print Post

Which Fibre Optic Broadband Supplier?

[link to this post]

I have decided to upgrade from ADSL broadband to fibre optics, but I am not really sure who to go for between Unlimited BT Infinity and Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Broadband & Calls.

Speed and reliability are very important to me.

Your suggestion(s) will be most appreciated. Thank you!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:44:01
Print Post

Re: Which Fibre Optic Broadband Supplier?

[re: oubase] [link to this post]

Plusnet seem to be flavour of the month at the moment. Who are you currently with ?

Standard User oubase
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:47:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you, Zarjaz. I am currently on O2 broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:51:07
Print Post

'kay, so no straight conversion to their FTTC offering then.

Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:58:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I can thoroughly recommend Plusnet.

Great, intelligently run network and fantastic staff who are willing to go the extra mile wink

My Broadband Speed Test
Plusnet - Unlimited Fibre - No trees were harmed in writing this post. Several electrons were, however, mildly inconvenienced.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:25:55
Print Post

My route was O2 LLU for years >> IDNet FTTC in Feb 2011 >> toss-up between BT and Plusnet FTTC in Feb 2012 which was decided in favour of Plusnet on the huge difference in the quality of the sales people on the phone >> an upgrade in January 2013 restarting my 18 month minimum term.

Another happy bunny smile.

I have always kept my phone line with BT.

If your phone line is also with O2 then care is needed when migrating. Plusnet normally take the broadband first then the phone line about three weeks later. In that three weeks O2 may place a cease order on the line because your broadband has been migrated away. Things then get very messy and nerve-wracking.

Ideally you get Plusnet to place a SIM Provide order on Openreach right at the start. That should avoid any issues but is in itself a bit unreliable at the Openreach end.

It inevitably means the broadband migration is delayed until the phone line move, as instead of a MAC type system the phone line has to take a minimum of something like three weeks to allow the losing CP to contact you and check you want the move to happen. To avoid slamming.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User oubase
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:48:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am grateful to all of you who have so far replied to my post. I note, in particular, the issues raised in RobertoS' reply about possible problems migrating phone line and broadband at the same time.

I completely agree and, in that sense, I am thinking about first moving my phone line back to BT then broadband later to Plusnet.

Is this a good idea, RobertoS?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:55:16
Print Post

Definitely!

You lose the opportunities of cheap bundles of BB + phone with same provider, but you gain the avoidance of hassle when migrating BB in the future PLUS the excellent BT voice fault management.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User oubase
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:03:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks, XRaySpeX. I will give BT a call to arrange for my line to be moved back to them.

Home phone is BT's core business before it decided to diversify, and I think that it still does it well. The only minor downside is that BT home phone tariffs tend to be marginally pricier than competitors.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:16:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by oubase:
BT home phone tariffs tend to be marginally pricier than competitors.
Yes, all the others are followers of BT.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to