General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(regular) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:00:43
Print Post

Ilford

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

My brother is in Ilford and is fed up with Virgin's slow speeds and throttling. At 3pm today a Youtube 3 minute clip took nearly 5 minutes to load. Is anyone on the Ilford exchange with FTTC (Infinity or other) having good speeds and no slowdowns during the day?

Thanks,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD
iPad (3rdGen) 32GB
iPhone 5 16GB

BT Infinity FTTC Unlimited
Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:05:38
Print Post

Re: Ilford

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

Type in his postcode & see what is available at his exchange

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13634...
Standard User kitcat
(member) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:16:53
Print Post

Adam

Try the broadband maps on this site, use his postcode then enable speed test results on the left hand menu..

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&...

I can see someone with very high speeds, 77.14Mb flag.

Remember you have to click on the flags to get the speed test results and who they are for as the mapped number is the average of all the tests so maybe a 60Mb plus 6 *2Mb give a flag of10Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User astanden
(regular) Sat 13-Apr-13 11:47:45
Print Post

Thanks guys smile

Is there a way to find out if Ilford exchange is congested on FTTC or LLU?

As he is with Virgin I can't get an estimate of his speeds with Plusnet or BT. They say he needs a new line fitted but he still has the BT master socket, so not sure why they have to install a new one rather than flick a switch to the exchange or the green street cabinet.

Thanks again,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD
iPad (3rdGen) 32GB
iPhone 5 16GB

BT Infinity FTTC Unlimited
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Apr-13 12:59:08
Print Post

I don't think I've heard of any cabinet or exchange that has congested FTTC service. There *might* be, but I don't recall any obvious signs.

The ISP is a separate story - and Plusnet *say* they will be keeping their pipes sufficiently sized to not cause congestion to their unlimited packages.

With a Virgin number, you won't get estimates from the BT Wholesale checker, but you should be able to get something from the postcode and/or address checkers instead.

And just because there is a BT socket on the premises doesn't mean there is still a copper connection all the way back to the exchange, or that it is plugged into anything - BT could have reused any part of the line or equipment in the meantime.

A stopped service is still connected and gets dialtone, and is cheapest to reconnect. A ceased service has been physically disconnected, and the resources freed up for other customers.

If the old line has been unused for a while, it is likely to be ceased. This needs a larger restoration, and costs more - provided there are still enough resources available. An engineer in the exchange building will need to wire the E-side line (which may be different from the one used before) to a linecard (via a DSLAM if you went for plain broadband as a simultaneous provide), and a different engineer will turn up at your property (and probably the cabinet) to connect and check the service works all the way through. An engineer is certainly required at the cabinet when FTTC is provisioned onto the line.

IIRC Plusnet charge the same £50ish fee for reconnection of a ceased line as for provision of an entirely new line. It is only the reconnection of a stopped line that is cheap. Take a look at this old PN forum page, though obviously the T+Cs and charges can be different nowadays.
  Print Thread

Jump to