General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Sun 14-Apr-13 19:11:15
Print Post

Master sockets, 2nd phone line, TPON & FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi

The DSLAM cabinets are finally starting to be installed on our estate at least a year after the exchange was enabled and other areas served by it have been supplied with FTTC.

Originally when the estate was built (10 years ago) there was no copper from the exchange to the cabs on the estate, TPON was used instead. After some campaigning BT installed a copper "overlay" to provide ADSL to the estate.

Does this TPON & copper overlay have any bearing on modern FTTC (good or bad) ?

Several years ago we had a 2nd phone line for work which we wanted installed in the office, we wanted this for both voice & ADSL. The BT engineer took a spare pair from the back if the down stair NTE5 and changed the single socket extension in the office to a double socket. We have ADSL supplied by BE on both lines, with the modems connected to the double socket the engineer installed in the office.
When we can eventually order FTTC, we will order it for the work line first, will the lack of an NTE5 socket cause a problem ? We will also eventually get FTTC on the original home line, this does have an NTE5 master socket but I'd want the model installed in the office - will BT do that or does it have to be installed where the master socket is ?

The DSLAM cab was installed last week, and from the looks of what was dug up and the pipework that was sticking out of the ground there is a connection between the two original cabs and DSLAM. I don't know if there is any actual wiring between the them though, but I assume that can be blown through when BT are ready to do the work.

From what I can figure out, it seems to be from 3 - 9 months before the cabs are ready to be ordered against - is about right ?

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Now -> Be *
Standard User Crusiux
(learned) Sun 14-Apr-13 19:28:44
Print Post

Re: Master sockets, 2nd phone line, TPON & FTTC

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

I cannot advise on your home wiring situation, but at least in my case it was more a matter of weeks rather than months before the cabinet went live after the trench had been filled. Hard to say really, each Cab is different. You'll have to wait for BT to blow through the fibre link. If you're really interested, then try listening out for the fans inside the cab. If their operational, you're close.

Unlimited BT Infinity 2 Down 73.6 Up 9.7
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Apr-13 19:39:01
Print Post

The engineer would take the double socket and convert at least the line with the FTTC on it to a more standard NTE5 and then fit the VDSL interstitial plate

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Tue 23-Apr-13 08:52:06
Print Post

Mr Fox,
Can you tell me where abouts you live in Northampton, as I am on a estate approx 10 years old which is served by old TPON with copper overlay and all the new estates around here on old TPON missed the FTTC rollout last year, BT only did cabs that were originally copper from the start. I certainly havent noticed any signs whatsoever of them doing anything with ex-TPON cabs around me.
Thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to