General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aavid60
(regular) Tue 16-Apr-13 13:39:20
Print Post

How Long

[link to this post]

Had a reply from Openreach in which they are saying "Once the cabinet build is complete, it will then be a further two to three weeks before the cabinet is visible to take orders, during this time Openreach hand the cabinet over to all other communications providers." is this correct? It seems to be a long period of time if so why does it take that long.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Apr-13 13:50:19
Print Post

Re: How Long

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

Yes the processes take some time to all filter through

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ajackuk
(regular) Tue 16-Apr-13 13:50:32
Print Post

For mine, they said after they had wired it all in, they had software to load, testing to take place etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Apr-13 15:35:17
Print Post

Commissioning and testing.

Once live customers are in place, the aim is for as-close-to-zero downtime as possible. So they need to make sure it is up, running, stable, and worthy of being part of the national, critical, infrastructure. That it correctly monitors itself and reports any alarms. That nothing is broken or semi-broken. That, where backup routes are installed, they work.

It is always easier to turn off, or do major fixes, before it has been turned live.

You wouldn't believe how much testing stuff goes through before it makes it onto BT's network!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Apr-13 16:20:28
Print Post

Do you think that BT deliberately delays a go live date just to annot people. Just because te cabinet is live does not mean it is fully connected, tested, all data bases updated and aligned, routing information built and stored &c &c.

The sooner BT can sell capacity in the cabinet, the sooner they get some money back. The sooner they have some more money, the sooner they can pay for another cabinet install ... the sooner the next is installed and ready the sooner BT gets revenue from it, and so on until the country is fully covered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Apr-13 16:45:07
Print Post

I'm surprised you think two to three weeks is a long time, sounds really quick to me; if you'd said two to three months I might agree.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Apr-13 18:36:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Certainly if the "cabinet build" didn't include connection of power and fibre.
Standard User aavid60
(regular) Tue 16-Apr-13 19:53:08
Print Post

The cab has been there since early August last year. Power was supplied the same week.
The fibre spine was laid to it before last xmas and the copper between old and new some 2 months ago. Still not live although I believe it has been switched on.
Standard User iwish
(committed) Tue 16-Apr-13 23:50:49
Print Post

Just sit back and wait and be thankful your have a fibre cabinet.
lots of people come on here that have been told they wont ever see fibre, so relax and chill
  Print Thread

Jump to