General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JamieDanjoux
(learned) Tue 16-Apr-13 21:04:52
Print Post

FTTC in my new build home??

[link to this post]

Hi TBB users!

I am in the process of moving house with Plusnet to a new build. I have been told that only BT will be available until all houses are built and proper cabling is put in. So it looks like I have to Migrate. My friend who is moved to the new estate said that only BT ADSL was available and no fibre was there.

When I move in May will I be able to get FTTC (from any provider, BT preferable due to the features you get)

My postcode is (New house) NE13 6LD and its no 33 Havannah Drive.

Can anyone help?

I have used BT broadband checker and can get Fibre Multicast.

I am with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Broadband! My speeds are 60mbits+ and Upload is 15mbits+
Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Wed 17-Apr-13 11:03:14
Print Post

Re: FTTC in my new build home??

[re: JamieDanjoux] [link to this post]

That postcode says you are connect to cabinet 1. Unfortunately when doing a btwholesale check, it shows fibre multicast available but not FTTC.

HOWEVER, I looked around where that new build is, and I found the houses near to it: (6 The Villas, North Gosforth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear NE13 6PF as an example), that postcode shows that it is connected to cabinet 1 (the same as your new house) and it says fibre is available from cabinet 1.

I would be safe to say that you will have access to fibre, but BT's database just hasnt been updated yet as there is no physical line installed at your new house yet, or that the postcode for your new house hasnt been linked properly to show fibre.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 17-Apr-13 11:26:25
Print Post

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

Hmm - looking at google maps the two postcodes look to be a fair distance apart (assuming that the new house is built in the triangular shaped plot by Sandy Lane where google puts the post code).

Could BT be stating that the property too far from the CAB to get VDSL service?

Or the BT checker may simply be behind the curve!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Wed 17-Apr-13 12:43:21
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

It's possible it could be too far away from the cabinet, but I went to the house builders page and found where the development is going to be. I remember that before my house was on google maps, the postcode would take you miles away from where it actually is.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 17-Apr-13 13:16:15
Print Post

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

If Google doesn't recognise the full postcode, then I've noticed it will often centre the map on the portion of the post code that it does recognise, so nowhere near where it actually is.

Also, if BT can supply broadband then so can Plusnet, as can any other provider that uses BT network. LLU providers will need a link installed in the exchange though.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-13 13:17:16
Print Post

[re: JamieDanjoux] [link to this post]

To avoid confusion, when people say only BT will be available, they most likely mean only broadband and telephone services delivered over an Openreach copper telephone line.

The full range of ADSL2+ sold by BT Wholesale service providers such as Plusnet will be available.
O2 ADSL2+ service will also be available.
Sky ADSL2+ will be available, and we have a speedtest in Dinnington from a Sky user on maps.thinkbroadband.com

Fibre Multicast is an exchange level issue, the question is where is cabinet 1 which is where any FTTC service would be run from.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to