General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Thu 18-Apr-13 19:08:54
Print Post

Intrigued by infinity activation process

[link to this post]

Hello,
Im due to have Infinity installed tomorrow. I'm intrigued by how the install and activation works.
Will my phone line be moved over to a specific port in the FTTC cabinet? Is this pre activated and tied to my BT account prior to the engineer moving it over or does engineer initiate that process?
Just wondering!
Standard User ryant704
(regular) Thu 18-Apr-13 19:24:43
Print Post

Re: Intrigued by infinity activation process

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

He will jumper you over to a FTTC port, obviously he will come round and do all the additional work needed. Change master socket and install the modem for you as well.
Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Thu 18-Apr-13 19:25:51
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
He will jumper you over to a FTTC port, obviously he will come round and do all the additional work needed. Change master socket and install the modem for you as well.

thanks, i understand that bit i'm more interested in the logical side of it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Thu 18-Apr-13 19:27:32
Print Post

The non technical info is here
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13634...
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Apr-13 19:37:27
Print Post

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

Since the OP is in Exmouth like me I assume there's a good chance he'll get a Kelly Communications chap. I didn't get a phone call from him and he just fitted the modem/socket and left, didn't ask about or set up the router. Having said that I've no complaints about him.

Edited by Spud2003 (Thu 18-Apr-13 19:38:19)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Apr-13 20:01:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by jparnell82:
Im due to have Infinity installed tomorrow. I'm intrigued by how the install and activation works.
Will my phone line be moved over to a specific port in the FTTC cabinet? Is this pre activated and tied to my BT account prior to the engineer moving it over or does engineer initiate that process?

The engineer only works in the old cabinet, connecting the D side of your line to a spur that goes to the FTTC cabinet, and ensuring the copper line that comes back from the FTTC box is connected to the E side of your line.

I assume the FTTC boxes are remotely configured and so the engineer will contact the Openreach control centre and get them to enable or configure the port that your line is now attached to.

Then the engineer attends your home.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Apr-13 22:56:10
Print Post

A port is allocated several days before the install date, it actually goes 'live' the evening before the install date, usually around 6pm*. The allocated port is indicated in the installers task notes.

* Connected mine up at 7pm the evening before the install date.

Print Thread

Jump to