General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LEEEVANS69
(newbie) Sun 21-Apr-13 15:50:35
Print Post

Different speeds being "advised"

[link to this post]

Just found out we can get FTTC tried plusnet and it advises Estimated download speed:
54Mb
Estimated upload speed:
13Mb

Now with sky it advises 40.0 - 40.0 Mbps

I'm with 02 at the mo on regular bb (non-fibre)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Apr-13 17:10:48
Print Post

Re: Different speeds being "advised"

[re: LEEEVANS69] [link to this post]

Sky only advertise the 40Mbps service, and that's all you can order online. What upload did it estimate, 2MBps or higher than that?

If you ring them up you can order the 80/20 service.

Remember Sky will require you to have an LLU line with them, which can be messy if you migrate away. Plusnet let you have your line with anyone, but if you don't have it with them you have to pay the FTTC installation charge.

If your phone line is with O2 then a move to Plusnet of phone and broadband/FTTC can go wrong unless you get support involved. Plusnet's automated system seems to move the line about three weeks after the broadband, during which time O2 may Cease the line as you can't have it without O2 broadband frown.

If the line is with anyone else but O2 there should be no problem with a move to Plusnet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 21-Apr-13 17:11:42)

Standard User LEEEVANS69
(newbie) Sun 21-Apr-13 17:15:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. Yeah the phone is with 02 aswell, so i could loose the net for s few weeks in theory?

How do i get support involved?

Edited by LEEEVANS69 (Sun 21-Apr-13 17:24:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Apr-13 18:37:25
Print Post

You shouldn't lose connection, but there is a risk.

Going to Sky would be no problem. The difficulty with them could be migrating away if you ever want to.

Getting to Plusnet could be a problem. Getting away no problem.

You mention involving support. Does that mean your preferred target is Plusnet? (That seems likely anyway, otherwise all you have to do is sit tight - unless you want FTTC sooner rather than later).

Would it be a disaster if you had to pay the FTTC connection charge? (I'm assuming you would want the "Unlimited" package). If happy to pay the installation there is no problem, as all you do is move the phone first.

It's the combination of a silly Plusnet system and a sometimes impatient O2 system that's the risk, as Plusnet don't seem able to do the risk-free way which is take the line first when you order the bundle.

First-line support at Plusnet isn't the way to go. If you want, I'll post in the Plusnet Community forums asking for someone in the Digital Care team to pop over to this thread and you can take it from there. They visit there a lot, but work Mon-Fri so don't expect anything until perhaps Monday afternoon.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User LEEEVANS69
(newbie) Sun 21-Apr-13 19:09:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok thanks for the advice, hang fire for the support team smile
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Mon 22-Apr-13 15:43:04
Print Post

Hi there,

We'd be able to bring your services over with minimal downtime, a few hours at the most. This would involve us bringing your phone over first and then placing an order for your fibre service.

You can view our products at http://plus.net Our unlimited package will give you speeds of up-to 76Mb/s depending on what you line can achieve.

If you do decide to signup then drop me a PM with your username and I'll happily keep a watchful eye on your order to make sure all is progressing OK.

Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User LEEEVANS69
(newbie) Wed 24-Apr-13 11:33:50
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

That's great thanks.
  Print Thread

Jump to