General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Tue 23-Apr-13 07:23:26
Print Post

HG612 LAN1 and LAN2

[link to this post]

If I work up the courage and unlock my HG612 will both LAN1 and LAN2 provide internet access, that's to say could I connect two different devices, one into each LAN simultaneously?

Currently I have one ethernet cable running from LAN to a router. After unlocking could I also connect another ethernet cable to the other LAN (and connect that to a networking homeplug with another router at the other end)

If this isn't possible I understand the HG612 can also work as a router, in which case my question is similar, could I use both LANs simultaneously but connect two Access Points to each output?

My preference is for option one because I like to use my router's admin to see DHCP Client List etc.

BTW I'm with TalkTalk so there is no router level authentication needed (maybe that's true for all fibre connections)

Edited by Alexir (Tue 23-Apr-13 08:04:44)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 23-Apr-13 08:18:37
Print Post

Re: HG612 LAN1 and LAN2

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

Whilst in bridge mode no, would need to put it in router mode.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Tue 23-Apr-13 08:35:11
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Whilst in bridge mode no, would need to put it in router mode.

Thanks, your reply is very brief. Are you saying only if the HG612 is set as a router, then both LAN1 and LAN2 will operate simultaneously as internet out feeds?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smouty
(regular) Tue 23-Apr-13 09:14:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alexir:
Thanks, your reply is very brief. Are you saying only if the HG612 is set as a router, then both LAN1 and LAN2 will operate simultaneously as internet out feeds?

He is.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 23-Apr-13 10:14:43
Print Post

I'm presuming you've run out of ports on you're router, so why not buy a switch? Even gigabit switches are pretty cheap, and you will get the benefit of a faster network presuming you're other hardware has gigabit networking cards.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Apr-13 10:16:28
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I'm presuming you've run out of ports on you're router, so why not buy a switch? Even gigabit switches are pretty cheap, and you will get the benefit of a faster network presuming you're other hardware has gigabit networking cards.
I signed up for the Samknows programme. Got me a gigabit capable switch for free laugh

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Tue 23-Apr-13 20:53:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I'm presuming you've run out of ports on you're router, so why not buy a switch?

No, it's a question of device positioning. The phone socket and modem are together next to the power sockets. The router is a couple meters away (by the TV, Sky box etc so they can be wired). That's all fine but I needed to extend coverage upstairs via homeplugs. The only viable homeplug power socket is back where the modem is, so currently I run one ethernet several feet from modem to router, then run another cable back to the homeplug which is next to the modem. If you've followed that explanation so far you'll guess I would rather have a short cable from the second modem LAN direct to the homeplug.
Standard User smouty
(regular) Wed 24-Apr-13 07:56:23
Print Post

But you must have a power socket by the router wink
There are homeplugs available with power passthrough if it helps.
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Wed 24-Apr-13 09:04:50
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smouty:
But you must have a power socket by the router wink

There is indeed a power socket by the router, it is an extension/expansion block and when I insert the homeplug there the speed at the destination homeplug collapses. The only way to get good thruput on the homeplug is to use the main powerpoint on the wall...which is where the modem is.

My current set up is workable, there's no real problem, it just has one extra unnecessary ethernet cable snaking back from router to homeplug - so if I can use the second LAN on the modem and a short cable to the homeplug, everything is just a little bit tidier
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Apr-13 11:27:18
Print Post

With the HG612 set to router mode, you could try LAN1 to an ethernet port on your router, (doesn't need to be an FTTC/cable one any more), and LAN 2 to the Homeplug.

Your router then needs DHCP disabling and assigned a safe IP address on the LAN outside the range you set the HG612 to allocate. Just like coupling two routers on ADSLx.

You should be able to see the DHCP assignments on the HG612 with no trouble.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 24-Apr-13 11:32:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to