General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MAN_FACE
(committed) Tue 23-Apr-13 12:51:43
Print Post

Typical !

[link to this post]

RE: PMO ** 17355 ** Ravenhill Exchange,SWRVH, Cab 34.
Inbox
x
nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

10:24 AM (2 hours ago)

Dear Mr MAN_FACE, <--Not real.

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband. Ravenhill exchange cabinet 34 is not in the Openreach commercial roll out of fibre broadband. Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet and your cabinet fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the cabinet has too few premise connected to it, rendering it too small to provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs of providing a new FTTC cabinet.

Where cabinets are not commercially viable Government funding is available to county and borough councils. However, the Welsh government has appropriated funding from the BDUK initiative and is rolling out broadband within Wales to further increase the broadband penetration. For further information and to whether you cabinet is included in their roll out, please go to their website for details and contacts. http://www.superfast-wales.com/home

Regards

Tony Franklin
NGA Enquiries
Email:- nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk|
W Web: www.openreach.co.uk

My exchange is live as well.
Standard User MAN_FACE
(committed) Tue 23-Apr-13 12:59:08
Print Post

Re: Typical !

[re: MAN_FACE] [link to this post]

Does anyone know how I should go about this ?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:06:52
Print Post

I guess it is going to be a fairly typical answer nowadays.

With 55% of the country done, the NGA Enquiries team won't be fielding answers from those lines.

Of those who *will* enquire, I guess about a quarter will get told about the plans, and three-quarters will be referred to their county BDUK project.

I wonder if Openreach will, once cabinet plans are made for BDUK projects, ever give out details directly, or if there is some form of legal arrangement that they have to forward people off to the local superfast (ISP-agnostic) website.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:27:23
Print Post

Unfortunately, the various BDUK projects don't seem to be setup to answer individual email enquiries in the same way that Openreach are now > It took a long time for Openreach to get to setting that facility up.

The http://www.superfast-wales.com/faqs page has all kinds of answers on this issue, none of which will offer you any satisfaction. It is pretty standard fare for all the county BDUK plans - compare it to this: http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/home
Standard User kitcat
(member) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:52:41
Print Post

If you have Virgin CATV available the BDUK money will not be spent to give you FTTC as well.

If no Cable TV you need to contact the Wales superfast people.

It can help if you can get a lot of people on the cab to register interest, this sometimes moves the cab into a viable position from one expected not to be viable.
Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:55:16
Print Post

Hi MAN_FACE,

Just sounds like you need to get your cabinet upgraded.

As Openreach have said your cabinet is not commercially and financially viable for the "Superfast-Openreach" commercial fibre rollout plan you can:

1) Register your interest for Superfast Cymru BDUK scheme by going to http://superfast-cymru.com/where-and-when/register

2) you could try emailing info@superfast-cymru.com to see if they give you any information.

3) It may also help to try and make your community aware of what is happening in accordance to superfast broadband in your area.

4) If you receive a broadband speed of less than 2mbps then you maybe able to apply for the Welsh Government Broadband support scheme (though may end on 30th September 2013) http://wales.gov.uk/broadband

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Standard User MAN_FACE
(committed) Tue 23-Apr-13 14:40:01
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
If you have Virgin CATV available the BDUK money will not be spent to give you FTTC as well.

If no Cable TV you need to contact the Wales superfast people.

It can help if you can get a lot of people on the cab to register interest, this sometimes moves the cab into a viable position from one expected not to be viable.

Virgin CATV is on the other side of the road.But I live 150M off the road on the common.
Did contact Virgin, but they said it would cost too much..
Standard User MAN_FACE
(committed) Wed 08-May-13 13:09:34
Print Post

Story so far.

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Well.

Sent an e-mail to Super fast Wales, got one back asking for my phone number.

Had a good chat with them.

They said even though openreach aren't enabling my cabinet, it is in the plans to be enabled by government funding. Won't be straight away, might take a year.

I'm quite happy with the conclusion. Better late than never.
Standard User MAN_FACE
(committed) Tue 02-Jul-13 11:48:54
Print Post

Good news.

Just had an e-mail with some good news in regard to getting my roadside cabinet upgraded to fibre broadband.

Dear Mr MAN_FACE,

Thank you for your email to the Superfast Cymru mailbox about superfast broadband. I understand that you have also contacted your Assembly Member on this issue. Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in replying.

We have checked the situation with regard to your local roadside cabinet and I am pleased to confirm that it will be upgraded as part of the Superfast Cymru roll-out. It is scheduled to be upgraded between January and March 2014.

Yours sincerely

Superfast Cymru
  Print Thread

Jump to