General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aavid60
(regular) Fri 26-Apr-13 13:57:07
Print Post

just got FTTC this morning

[link to this post]

Plugged My own router in (TG789) and this is what it tell me. 20,000 up , with snr 15.3 and 79.987, with 8.5 snr down. well pleased with that
Standard User tweak
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 14:17:52
Print Post

Re: just got FTTC this morning

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

WOW!! If only I could get close to my max (I get 14 mbps approx. on the up to 20 mbps service)
Would be interested if your speed remains the same after a few weeks?
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Fri 26-Apr-13 14:24:38
Print Post

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aavid60:
Plugged My own router in (TG789) and this is what it tell me. 20,000 up , with snr 15.3 and 79.987, with 8.5 snr down. well pleased with that

Don't muck about with disconnecting the router as the OR DLM can suddenly drop you 10meg and stick an interleave on of 8ms or more.

Strangely enough I managed to get back onto 80/20 with fastpath once I put the router on a UPS as we have had a serious problem with our local power supply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:10:14
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

There haven't been many (or even any) reports of a DLM intervention because of power-cycling the modem.

The power-cycling advice has carried over from ADSL days, and so certainly may hold. However, it just doesn't seem to happen. I've had a couple of times where I have done quite a number of power cycles, knowing what I could cause... but not a dicky bird.

VDSL2 certainly supports the "dying gasp" indication, so the cabinet can certainly be informed that a drop of sync is related to a power outage. Whether it happens in practice with any particular modem, or whether the DLM process takes note, can't be confirmed with certainty.

All-in-all, still a question mark. But worth treating as a serious issue.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:33:34
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

There haven't been many (or even any) reports of a DLM intervention because of power-cycling the modem.
There are quite a few reports on the BT forums.
Of course, it is always difficult to judge the reliability of such reports as there are always so many factors going on at once.
I think that there are enough consistent reports to treat it as a serious possibility, probably a probability.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:37:59
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Ta. Always good to know whether we should really treat it as a serious possibility.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 15:53:55
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
Don't muck about with disconnecting the router as the OR DLM can suddenly drop you 10meg and stick an interleave on of 8ms or more.

Disconnecting a router will have NO effect on the DLM. Disconnecting a Modem may have an effect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 26-Apr-13 16:10:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

@WWWombat: Normally I don't care, as I'm lucky enough to have had a decent connection for months, so no desire to reboot either modem or router except very occasionally.

By chance, I have just been playing with modem cable ( http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4232837-bto... ). If it had worked well it would have been a single break in connection, but I have issues. I'm having to decide for myself how much fiddling to do to see if I can improve things, or if the fiddling will just itself cause extra issues.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Fri 26-Apr-13 16:10:42)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Apr-13 17:25:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Disconnecting a router will have NO effect on the DLM. Disconnecting a Modem may have an effect.

Normally true for Openreach VDSL2/FTTC, but in this case the OP plugged in his own router, which happens to include the VDSL2 modem too (ie a single box solution).
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Apr-13 17:29:21
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I know what you mean.

My first FTTC line went straight to FEC/interleaving (well, after 48 hours, twice), so I tried a few line fixes to see if I made any improvements. That meant quite a few disconnections within a day, on a couple of occasions, but I figured I would do the experiment anyway. But nada - not a peep from DLM.

It left me at exactly that speed for months, until the cabinet was converted to the 17a profile.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to