General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kepners
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 22:16:16
Print Post

Open reach in letchworth! Not at my new house though...

[link to this post]

I live in a new house in Letchworth, I have just rung BT to get Fibre optic in my home only to be told "no Fibre in your area". My reply was "are you sure im looking at open reach's website and it is tells me that its available"... the reply i get is that its not available and to just wait....

So i am assuming its because the house is new -ie last year. However it raises a question why is the new housing estate not included in the rollout? or not plugged in to the system when BT open reach put the lines in for the new properties. Does anyone have experince of this issue or how to resolve it?
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 14:11:20
Print Post

Re: Open reach in letchworth! Not at my new house though...

[re: kepners] [link to this post]

There could be many reasons,

Fibre is rolled out gradually, for FTTC each cabinet needs to be upgraded, for FTTP each area needs the required infrastructure to be installed.

FTTC is fibre to the cabinet, it is possible the cabinet you're on has not been upgraded, FTTC was planned several years ago, before your house existed, possibly even before the cabinet existed.

Sometimes new estates are run directly to the exchange, these are known as exchange only lines, and at the moment can't have FTTC due to some regulations about possible interference in the exchange.

The cabinet your line comes from may be considered uneconomical, as there are not enough lines on it, and therefore BT will not do it.

It is possible BT will do your cabinet in the commercial roll out but haven't got around to it yet, or it may be covered under the BDUK project.

First thing to do is put you're number in the BT Wholesale checker, if you're with Sky or Talk Talk (IE LLU) you'll need to enter your address in the address checker, make sure you enter your house number and postcode. This will tell you what you have available, or when it's likely to be available. It will also tell you what cabinet you are on, if it does not chances are you are on an exchange only line.

Once you know your cabinet number you can go and find it (google streeet view is a good way) and when you know where it is see if it has it's fibre twin.

Other alternative is to email your address and phone number to nga.enquiries at openreach.co.uk

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 27-Apr-13 16:58:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Apr-13 16:02:37
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

nga.enquiries smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 16:59:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, corrected the post.

Print Thread

Jump to