General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mark90997
(regular) Sat 27-Apr-13 16:41:46
Print Post

FTTC - Best single box router/modem

[link to this post]

Hi,

So I am expecting to get FTTC in the next few months and I would like suggestions for which is currently the best single box/modem for FTTC ?

Ideally I would like one that has the wireless built-in maybe with dual band that as fast as possible.

I will be getting this on Sky if that makes any difference.
Standard User asbokid
(member) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:12:01
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Best single box router/modem

[re: mark90997] [link to this post]

There may not be an ideal single device solution. Most devices tend to max out when confronted with the highest VDSL2 line speeds. Currently, the mots powerful series of VDSL2 SoC is Broadcom's 63xx. Although in some condtions, the Lantiq VRX200 series can outperform the Broadcoms in raw line speed. For optimum performance, it's best to use the modem, whatever its chipset, in bridge mode, coupled with a separate router for the pppoe layer, firewalling, NAT'ing, etc.

Have a look at the available VDSL2 CPE chipsets. At the last count, there were surprisingly few on the market.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11470.0

cheers, a
Standard User mark90997
(regular) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:13:04
Print Post

Just looking at this now: http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN...

Date sheet - http://www.fritzbox.eu/Datenblaetter/AVM_FRITZBox_73...

Would this work with FTTC ok? Does anyone else have a Fritz!box that can comment on this?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alexir
(learned) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:25:56
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
There may not be an ideal single device solution. Most devices tend to max out when confronted with the highest VDSL2 line speeds.

Does that include the HG622, how does it perform (and will you be getting any more)?
Standard User asbokid
(member) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:26:35
Print Post

In some rudimentary tests, the Ikanos Fusiv Vx180, the SoC that powers the Fritz!Box 7390 (and the Sagem F@st 2764) slightly underperformed both the Broadcom BCM6368 (found in the HG612 and others) and the Lantiq VRX268 (found in the ECI vg3503j and others).

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12300.msg231...

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Sat 27-Apr-13 20:20:28)

Standard User asbokid
(member) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:31:52
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

Hi yeah, all the devices based on the Broadcom BCM6368 should perform identically, or close to it. A hit in performance probably isn't noticeable if you've only got a sync speed of 50Mbps or less. But it's commonly reported that with line speeds of 100Mbps and more, the device (whatever the chipset flavour) cannot keep up with the tasks of being a modem and a router. The HG622 is no different. So that's probably why Openreach decided to split the functionality between two separate devices. I have got some more. but haven't yet flashed them with English language firmware. I will do smile

cheers, a
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:43:57
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

I do find it odd that in this day and age, modems/routers cannot keep up with syncs above 50mbit.

The technology is there, they are just using cheaper cpu/memory as the majority of the user base will never notice, I guess.

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User mark90997
(regular) Sat 27-Apr-13 17:51:26
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Just found an old post on the Fritz!box with setup info here
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 27-Apr-13 18:36:57
Print Post

Sky use funny authentication

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Apr-13 18:48:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by mark90997:
I will be getting this on Sky if that makes any difference.

Yes, you will need a box that understands how to handle the DHCP with special options and you will need to extract the username/password from the Sky Hub that you get supplied.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to