General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 23:16:50
Print Post

Hmmmm... Best OR Infinity install ever? I think not...

[link to this post]

So,.. moved house 9 days ago. Only had 10 days notice of the completion date, but put the phone & Infinity 2 migration order through online with automated acknowledgements back. Too busy to chase leading up to move. Move day comes and phone belatedly switched after a call to CS, but no sign of an OR engineer appointment for Infinity. Moved to same road btw, but different cab serves the address, and it's even further away, so mid 20s DL expected rather than previous mid-30s, according to the checker.

Got given the runaround by offshore support first weekend, didn't phone back, was eventually told it could be 6 weeks for an engineer. Managed to escalate and got job appointment for last Friday. Only one problem - I was in Califormia at that time. Spoke to engineer briefly, and confirmed the need for a data extension from master socket (under stairs) to office (upstairs).

Got back from US jet-lagged on Saturday so only managed a quick line diagnostic - DL profile stuck at around 14Mb and UL 20Mb - actual speeds around 13.3/5 versus 25.5/6 estimate via BTW site.

Resolved to look into it further today - and didn't have to look far! New master socket faceplate looks to have been fitted, but data extension port at top is unused! Instead, there appears to now be a 20m telephone extension running (not too professionally clipped) from the back of the master socket to a new junction box in the office, from where a final cable goes to the modem.

Please assure me that I'm not going crazy, and this is indeed a most farcical installation that is going to kill both my Infinity performance and my patience with BT alike...

Mike
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Apr-13 23:30:53
Print Post

Re: Hmmmm... Best OR Infinity install ever? I think not...

[re: dogbolter] [link to this post]

An easy way to test it is to plug the modem into the master socket.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Apr-13 23:59:49
Print Post

Which terminals are the extension connected to at the master.

IIRC there are two specifically for the data extension cable at the top left. Rather than the standard IDC extension connectors.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-13 07:18:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just checked - extension runs from bottom centre of the master socket.

M
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 29-Apr-13 08:10:35
Print Post

It should run from two terminals on there own, which are on the intermediate filter plate.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/Ronskiman/Co...

Can you not locate the modem where the master socket is and then run cat5 cable to your office, might achieve better speed.

As Batboy says, I would plug the modem into the test socket first - you can use one of those old plug in filters just to test.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 29-Apr-13 08:11:22)

Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-13 08:53:10
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks R0NSKI - I'll test tonight if I get a chance. My last Infinity install had the data extension cable plugged into the data port at the top section of the socket with a 20m run of cable from there straight to the OR modem.

Are you saying that with what looks a normal line extension cable (not CAT5 width) running from the bottom centre of the socket 20m to a junction box and the on to the modem could be an acceptable extension? I thought the data extension cable from the socket was the only recommended way to connect a modem to the socket over a distance?

M
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:20:35
Print Post

The correct way is to wire the extension to the correct internal connections. Twisted pair cable should be used, others will be able to tell you the correct spec cable that BT would use. Strange that there is a junction box, it should really go straight to a socket, the more connections the more chance of problem's.

I would unlock the modem and see what the stats are, then plug it into the test socket and check again. If it's an HG612 then it is easy.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:23:46
Print Post

That photo from RONSKI is what I meant. (Thanks RONSKI smile).

When you say "the bottom centre", do you mean coming from the back as in that picture but continuing, rather than using terminals as shown? (Which I assume your master doesn't have). Not connected to the faceplate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:29:00
Print Post

PICTURES - to avoid confusion on terminology would go a long way.

On the cable spec, anything that is CW1308, CAT3, CAT5, CAT5E or CAT6 should be fine. So if thinner but still circular then probably CW1308

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-13 11:09:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So, I imagined that it should be connected as per the picture on the following site:

Obviously a 20M data extension cable though!

However, it looks like this without the grey or back cables.

Imagine no cables connected to either front connection - main house line goes into master socket at the top centre back and extension leading to junction box/modem comes out of bottom as per the shorter visible white cable.

Just to confirm, if I test with the modem/router local, I should remove faceplate and use the test socket?

M
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to