General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 30-Apr-13 08:38:36
Print Post

FTTC installs without faceplate: dodgy or experimental?

[link to this post]

There have been a few reports on Infinity forum recently of installs that didn't use a proper filtered faceplate, but a hack job with a filter. eg
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Installation/...

also similar on this forum
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4234093-hmm...

~~~

I know Openreach have been trialling customer install for FTTC. Is this part of the experiment on unfortunate guniea-pigs, or is it just completely lazy installation (probably by contractors)?

(Repeating my question from Infinity forum because of the different audience here.)

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Apr-13 08:46:24
Print Post

Re: FTTC installs without faceplate: dodgy or experimental?

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5213-openreach-in...

No widespread replacement of the interstitial plate has been announced, so the installs might be where an engineer was part of that trial and is just doing what they were told last year.

Some microfilters may not have the right value capacitors to ensure high frequencies are filtered out sufficiently, but I would only panic if speeds were below estimate.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 08:06:13
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Had a quick look at that posting, and can concur they do leave ADSL plates in situ, but the BT engineer did check mine first to make sure it had the capacitor or whatever & been wired up correctly , mine is an ADSL Nation plate by the way.

I posted on another site that I don't think that plug-in filters are a good idea, and that when they come down to self installs, then if the user has a basic NTE5 master the ISP should supply a filter plate as part of the deal, but if the user has old style masters/incapable of fitting plate then an engineer install is required.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway+CIX, ADSL1 Nildram, ADSL2 SKY & Be*Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-May-13 14:04:00
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

If you haven't read SIN 498 I recommend Section 2.4 and the whole of Section 3. Filter requirements are covered in excruciating detail in 3.2.6.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 14:55:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion, I had actually downloaded that in order to quote from it in my Query to AVM regarding the Fritz! 7390 and vectoring, but most of it is gobbledegook to me smile

There has always been problems with in-line filters for some people, and that was why I made the comment about i-plates being supplied etc.

Bob WRBRIX
BT Infinity 2 - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mbits Actual 76.27/19.69 Mbits @ 320m
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 15:46:05
Print Post

I suspect vectoring is going to be dodgy across mismatched chipsets. As alcatel, HG, ECI etc. are developing different approaches to vectoring. Similiar to how SRA was problematic, the only uk isp that ever got SRA working it only worked when the router/modem was the right chipset (conexant).

Also its looking more and more likely this will be HG cabinets only frown now have seen pictures of M41's inside BT cab's it does seem BT still lack forward thinking.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 16:21:19
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I've had a reply back from AVM and they are passing my query to the product team to see if anything can be done firmware/software wise. They have a new router/modem coming out later this year, the 7490 which can handle vectoring, but I don't know what chipset it uses,

According to my 7390 the DSLAM it is connected to is Infineon.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-May-13 17:33:34
Print Post

I like the features of the Fritz!Box but haven't bought one as they are 'old'.

So I'm looking forward to the 7490.

More details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI595WrEAh8
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-May-13 17:46:51
Print Post

Careful with your terminology smile. You seem to be mixing them up. You and I, and many others here, know what you mean, but people who don't already know could get confused.

The i-plate is an interstitial ring wire filter that does nothing else.

A filtered faceplate (as per your previous post) would require reconnection of any extension phone line to its IDC connectors, with an IDC/Krone tool.

The OR-supplied VDSL2 filter is another interstitial unit, which allows extension phone lines to be left as is on the existing faceplate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 18:07:31
Print Post

you on a ECI cab.

the fritz 3370 has the same chipset as that cabinet and also its a newer gen fritz model (so may have vectoring capability) but of course it has no phone features which I think you said you require so useless for you.

Is it possible to have your fritz behind an openreach ECI modem? Might be pointless question tho if ECI cabs dont get vectoring.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 01-May-13 18:08:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to