General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ncf355
(learned) Wed 01-May-13 07:37:57
Print Post

Fibre speeds

[link to this post]

Hi,

After some independent advice/opinion

When I had Fibre installed last week, the cabinet used was not the one I expected (which is approx 500m away), or the 2nd closest (600m) but in fact one that was 1150m!

I was a little concerned when the engineer stated which Cab he was heading off to, but when he came back the speeds achieved at the house compared to that at the cab were quite impresssive:

Cab - 40.5
House - 39.6

All good, more than happy especially after the estimated speed was just 9.9 and I only really continued with the fibre order after seeing that due to the costs v speed when placed in comparison to the ADSL package I was on.

However, since then I have thought that technically I'm supposed to be on 80/20, so if this is the case, why is the engineer only seeing 40 at the cab?

Is this dictated by product or is this merely down to the Cab equipment?

Thanks in advance for any input............
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 07:47:28
Print Post

Re: Fibre speeds

[re: ncf355] [link to this post]

The speed is mostly due to line length. Is your line up poles, or underground, down holes?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User ncf355
(learned) Wed 01-May-13 07:56:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi

It's underground

But I was more meaning surely the speed at the cabinet for a 80/20 product should be 80/20 (or at least close)

I can accept the quality would degrade once it starts along the copper route to the premises, but shouldn't the actual cab give max speed?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 08:15:34
Print Post

When the modem syncs with the cab, they are at the same speed by definition.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User ncf355
(learned) Wed 01-May-13 09:06:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
When the modem syncs with the cab, they are at the same speed by definition.

Sorry if I'm appearing dense here, but does your statement back up my posityion that something needs upgrading/firmware flashing/etc at the Cab for it to give 80/20 capable speeds?
Standard User DRW
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 09:20:06
Print Post

It could be that the service is initially installed at the 40 speed but the ISP has to then enable you to get the 80 max speed as it may be on a different tariff and it is not unknown for the faster tariff to be late in being implemented - so ask your ISP if your speed is set to the correct rate.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 09:25:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by ncf355:
Sorry if I'm appearing dense here, but does your statement back up my posityion that something needs upgrading/firmware flashing/etc at the Cab for it to give 80/20 capable speeds?
What I think is that the statement about cab speeds is incorrect because the cab and the modem sync at the same speed.

What you should do is look at the IP profile for your upload speed and this will tell you what package you're on.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-May-13 09:43:52
Print Post

If the service was provisioned as 80/20 then a modem hooked up at the copper cab should get pretty much full 80 Meg.

Key is what upload speeds are you getting, as the 40 exists in two variations

40/2
and
40/10

The 80 service is only available as one speed 80/20

If really 1.15km then 39 Meg is pretty amazing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ncf355
(learned) Wed 01-May-13 10:31:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

Results from my latest BT Wholesale diagnostic test around 6am today -

Download speedachieved during the test was - 40.74 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 38.2 Mbps-47.75 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 47.75 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.35Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 10:38:21
Print Post

So you're on the 80/20 package.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to