General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(newbie) Wed 01-May-13 22:08:31
Print Post

FTTC Speed for my line.

[link to this post]

The cabinet that serves my line has just been enabled recently (Cab 31 Barrow-in-Furness - LCBAR) I'm currently on ADSL Max with EE and get about 4.7 Mbps downstream & 0.38 Mbps upstream. The BT ADSL checker say for me WBC FTTC 19.6 Mbps down & 5 Mbps up. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I was a bit disappointed to see that that is all I might get, and of course appreciate it will probably be a bit lower for actual throughput/download. I reckon from doing a path route on Google Earth I'm about 650-700 metres from my cabinet. Hard to know the route it actually takes line wise. (I wish the lovely new cab was outside my flat!)
My questions are, how likely am I to get 19.6 Mbps & 5Mbps, could it even be better? I self-admittedly don't have a great set up here, my flat doesn't have an NTE5 master socket, just an ancient line jack box. Would a CP fit one for me as part of the process of getting FTTC? I really want to get FTTC but need to know it's worth it...then convince my wife RE the extra expense involved ? I've been doing her head in about it all for ages!!

Just curious to ask a few questions on this very helpful forum, from you guys who have done it all before, know the procedures, have the knowledge and more importantly are kind enough to share it.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 22:21:10
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speed for my line.

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

I would still consider 4.7/0.38 to 19.6/5 worth it especially as the monthly cost is often the same or at least close together.

I would expect you could well be above the estimate but there is not 100% chance you will be. If the installer is moral he should try to improve things if it initially syncs below the estimate.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
(newbie) Wed 01-May-13 22:58:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks Chrysalis, it would be so much quicker than what we get now. I see 80/20 estimates and just think wow!

Now the question is which CP to choose? I'm with EE so it could well be them, already get £5 a month off, which would carry on. BT, Plusnet probably only other options. Hear horror stories about Talk Talk, so I'll leave them alone and Sky don't seem to offer fibre yet through our exchange. I believe that can take a while, if ever!
Decisions, decisions smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-May-13 00:09:15
Print Post

My first FTTC line was actually 600-650 metres in length, and on the old speed limits, it estimated at 31/6, but got 38/10. The estimates are now 51/11, after the speed increases earlier this year.

It sounds like your line doesn't follow a direct route.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-May-13 00:24:56
Print Post

Re the line box, do you mean one that takes the modern RJ45 plug, or the even older round plug like a huge phono plug?

The FTTC installer will install a modern NTE5 and 5A, (at no extra charge), with the VDSL2 interstitial faceplate in between them. The result can be seen on this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Thu 02-May-13 00:32:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

WWWombat, yes I think your correct about mine not being a direct route. I've checked other postcodes and phone numbers so I know the exchange is doing 80/20 speeds for those luckier ones close to the cab.
(newbie) Thu 02-May-13 00:40:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS, yes it has a RJ45 plug smile , LJU2 master I think. Glad to hear that the FTTC installer would fit NTE5 & 5A at no extra cost.
  Print Thread

Jump to