General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheFinestMalt
(newbie) Wed 08-May-13 09:46:10
Print Post

FTTC in Darlington

[link to this post]

Hi all I have a question regarding fibre rollout in Darlington which was only added to the list a few months ago with an expected rollout date of 2014. Being a very impatient (and nosey) fellow I've noticed quite a few BTO vans going around the town in the last few days. I had a look on the roadworks site and was quite surprised to see that quite a lot of cabinets across the town are being worked on stating "Cabinet & Power Installation" etc. Could this be part of an early fibre rollout? Or am I simply jumping the gun and it is something totally unrelated. Does anyone have any clues or advice?

I walked over to one of the listed cabinets yesterday (not mine unfortunately - my street cabinet is not one of those on the roadworks map, hope thats not a bad sign) and there was no sign of any work going on but a recangle was marked out on the pavement next to the existing cabinet. Might have to have a walk over again later and see if anything new is happening.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-May-13 09:49:14
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Darlington

[re: TheFinestMalt] [link to this post]

About only reason Openreach need power is if they are installing FTTC cabinets

Roll-out is usually done in phases, with the biggest/easiest cabinets done first

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 08-May-13 10:04:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. Now I'm definitely exclited smile

Is it normal for a rollout to happen muuch earlier than BT are stating? With them saying 2014 I wasnt exoecting any activity for some time..not that I'm complaining if it does turn out to be fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-May-13 10:57:37
Print Post

There used to be a lot more dates, but people complained when those target dates were shifted forward 3 months at a time. So, OpenReach stopped putting quarterly dates down and just put everyone, who is in the rollout plans, go live date as March 2014.
(newbie) Wed 08-May-13 13:59:23
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I shall keep my fingers crossed then. Just hope my cabinet doesnt get missed out.
(newbie) Sat 11-May-13 18:23:57
Print Post

Well looks like its definitely the start of fibre rollout in Darlington, hurrah! One of the cabinets on my way way home from work now has a second cabinet installed a few feet away. However in another location the roadworks site has status of 'work in progress' but when I went past this morning there was no sign of any activity at all. Is the roadworks site usually reliable or do things change frequently?

As a rough estimate can anyone tell me how long it tends to take from first cabs being completed to BT announcing fibre is live?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-May-13 20:29:33
Print Post

Roadworks don't always happen when they should. There is no penalty to a company for failing to start one, only for failing to finish - so they won't start unless all their ducks are lined up, and happily drop roadworks if manpower is needed elsewhere.

A rough estimate for a cab is maybe a few weeks to a couple of months from first appearance, but it can actually be anywhere from a week to over a year.

The exchange as a whole usually goes live when the first few cabs are ready - this was mythically 10 cabs, but it has happened with fewer.

But cabs still keep going in after the exchange has gone live - perhaps weeks, perhaps months, and perhaps years later. There is precious little to tell you of real prospects or dates of these, save email nga.enquiries at openreach.co.uk
(newbie) Wed 22-May-13 16:44:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

So cabs now appearing in Darlington. I email NGA Enquiries about my cab and they have said work is scheduled to be completed towards end of July. Roadworks.org has cab install due to start on 31/05. At which point in time will BT update the line checker to show estimated speeds? I'm keen to know what I will likely get as I estimate the cab to be around 100m from my house (give or take a few).
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 22-May-13 19:30:16
Print Post

Roughly when the cabinet is put in, you should start to see the speed estimate though it depends when the wholesale checker is updated by Openreach.

As for what speed you can expect, being about 100m you should see about 76 down and 20Mbps up or just below that.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User Beephee
(newbie) Thu 04-Jul-13 18:53:49
Print Post

I like others noticed increased work by BT engineers and so I went and asked did this mean Bt Infinity coming soon ? Was told it would be going live in about a month.
As I only get 2.5mb at best and are unable to get 'Virgin' on my part of estate (High Grange) i thought great, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I have just checked and yes, today 3rd of July I can get BT Infinity. Expected speed is 56Mb down and 20Mb up !!!!. I have signed up and they are installing 25th July.

It does seem that this is only for High Grange postcodes so far as I checked other nearby area postcodes but nothing doing - but at least it is coming

Apple mac user for 12 years
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to