General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-May-13 19:46:33
Print Post

FTTC to FTTP (BT Infinity 160)

[link to this post]

Hi

I can see that BT are now offering 'BT Infinity 160' package to elligible FTTP enabled homes which looks amazing! A question though...if one has a FTTC service, what steps are required for it to be upgraded to a FTTCP enabled area? Surely every FTTC enabled area should be FTTP enabled aswell as all it needs is a fibre being blown to the premisis from the FTTC cab.

Technical replies are welcome!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 08-May-13 19:52:12
Print Post

Re: FTTC to FTTP (BT Infinity 160)

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

The fibre doesn't come from the cab.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-May-13 19:56:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The fibre doesn't come from the cab.

Oh so its a dedicated fibre feed from the exchange to each home?

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 08-May-13 20:04:34
Print Post

Yes, the cabs are for FTTC.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-May-13 20:15:28
Print Post

No, it isn't dedicated.

On the technical side, FTTP of either variety (native FTTP deployed without FTTC in the area, or as FTTPoD within an FTTC area) is a single fibre from exchange to an aggregation node. There it is spliced to a single fibre that goes off to a splitter node somewhere on the way towards your property. In the splitter node, that single fibre is spliced to 32 fibres that go out to individual properties. The 32 properties ultimately share a single fibre back to the exchange.

On your original question, you sound confused about what type of FTTP is available, and where.

Of the two varieties of FTTP, only one will be of any use to you...

1. Native FTTP, where BT are only installing FTTP without any FTTC, comes with a variety of speeds, including 40, 80, 110, 160, 220 and 330 - although I think the 110 and 160 speeds are being phased out, and 220 is being introduced.

If you are in a Native FTTP area, then this is all you can get. Install & monthly charges for the 40 and 80 variants match the charges for FTTC (at least in BT Retail and in Plusnet).

2. FTTP-on-Demand (sometimes written as FTTPoD or FoD) is available to any property served by a cabinet that has FTTC activated. It comes at a single speed of 330 and has a 36 month minimum contract.

If you are in an FTTC area, then this is all you can get. Install charges are £500 upwards, depending on distance to the aggregation node. Monthly charges are unknown, because no retail ISP has put together a package yet.

3. If you aren't served in an FTTP area, and your cabinet hasn't been upgraded to FTTC (or you are on an EO line), then you don't have any option for FTTP at all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-May-13 20:16:48
Print Post

What you are looking for is Fibre on Demand, which is currently only available in a handful of FTTC enabled areas (more as more Openreach staff are trained to install it). This has a minimum install fee of £700 is next door to the cabinet and increasing over distance.

Also is a 330 Mbps product with a 3 year minimum term.

The cost covers your share of blowing the PON fibre, the manifold and fibre splitter

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-May-13 20:20:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
No, it isn't dedicated.

On the technical side, FTTP of either variety (native FTTP deployed without FTTC in the area, or as FTTPoD within an FTTC area) is a single fibre from exchange to an aggregation node. There it is spliced to a single fibre that goes off to a splitter node somewhere on the way towards your property. In the splitter node, that single fibre is spliced to 32 fibres that go out to individual properties. The 32 properties ultimately share a single fibre back to the exchange.

On your original question, you sound confused about what type of FTTP is available, and where.

Of the two varieties of FTTP, only one will be of any use to you...

1. Native FTTP, where BT are only installing FTTP without any FTTC, comes with a variety of speeds, including 40, 80, 110, 160, 220 and 330 - although I think the 110 and 160 speeds are being phased out, and 220 is being introduced.

If you are in a Native FTTP area, then this is all you can get. Install & monthly charges for the 40 and 80 variants match the charges for FTTC (at least in BT Retail and in Plusnet).

2. FTTP-on-Demand (sometimes written as FTTPoD or FoD) is available to any property served by a cabinet that has FTTC activated. It comes at a single speed of 330 and has a 36 month minimum contract.

If you are in an FTTC area, then this is all you can get. Install charges are £500 upwards, depending on distance to the aggregation node. Monthly charges are unknown, because no retail ISP has put together a package yet.

3. If you aren't served in an FTTP area, and your cabinet hasn't been upgraded to FTTC (or you are on an EO line), then you don't have any option for FTTP at all.

Ah that makes much more sense now, thanks for the clear explanation!

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Bobby_Valentino (Wed 08-May-13 20:21:54)

Standard User Idonex
(newbie) Fri 17-May-13 20:53:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I've just managed to order BT Infinity 160. This is on an exchange with FTTC and FTTP (Leytonstone) as far as i'm aware, and i'm still confused what type of FTTP i'm potentially getting. Bit weird cos Leytonston was upgraded years ago in the first phases but up until a few weeks ago it said Infinity was unavailable to me.

I don't see how they can run fibre right to my property unless they're planning on doing some major work on the telegraph poles or a load of digging and i haven't seen an Openreach van round here in the 2 years we've been here.

We'll see...
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 17-May-13 21:02:51
Print Post

[re: Idonex] [link to this post]

You will be ordering FTTP not FoD, so you will not have to cover the costs of the installation.
  Print Thread

Jump to