General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scottme
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 19:05:35
Print Post

FTTC availability via non-BT providers?

[link to this post]

Openreach have been camping around what I assume is a FTTC cabinet they installed at the end of my road for a couple of months now. Local politicians have been trumpeting their triumph at getting BT to upgrade our local exchange (THTG), so it can only be a matter of time before faster speeds can be mine...

What I want to know is, when the service goes live at my exchange, will fibre-based broadband be available via providers other than BT from day 1? I'm with Plusnet (I know, they are a branch of BT really), and I don't want to switch because they've been really good for me.

The Plusnet website won't let me pre-order a fibre service, but BT are already junk-mailing me about their Infinity offering and I think Plusnet may be missing a trick.

Does anyone have experience of FTTC introduction and can advise how quickly one can get switched to the faster service using a non-BT ISP?
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-May-13 19:55:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC availability via non-BT providers?

[re: scottme] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by scottme:
What I want to know is, when the service goes live at my exchange, will fibre-based broadband be available via providers other than BT from day 1?
Yes. Next question?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-May-13 19:59:04
Print Post

What I want to know is, when the service goes live at my exchange, will fibre-based broadband be available via providers other than BT from day 1?

Yes.

Where are you, Bramley or Sherfield-on-Lodden ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-May-13 20:15:34
Print Post

The Plusnet website won't let me pre-order a fibre service, but BT are already junk-mailing me about their Infinity offering and I think Plusnet may be missing a trick.
Missing a trick junk mailing you you mean?

Neither can sell you Fibre until it is available at your cab and when it is either will connect you to it equally.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 10-May-13 20:23:11
Print Post

As others have said any ISP should be able to supply you with FTTC as soon as the cab is live, with the exception of Sky & TalkTalk, they may need to time to put in their links at the exchange.

Just keep checking on the BT Wholesale checker with your phone number and when it says FTTC is available you should be able to upgrade your Plus Net product. It may also being giving you an estimated speed as well.

Standard User scottme
(newbie) Sat 11-May-13 23:16:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you - I will keep checking. It would be nice though if ISPs would alert their existing customers to the imminent availability of fibre.

BTW I am in Sherfield, about 500m from the exchange building.

Supplementary question: I am currently using a Draytek Vigor2710Vn ADSL2+ modem/router, with builtin VOIP. WIll that work on fibre, or will I have to use a different, ISP-supplied router?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-May-13 23:33:00
Print Post

It would be nice though if ISPs would alert their existing customers to the imminent availability of fibre.
That isn't really practicable as they only know for certain when that checker you've been give updates for the individual cabinet.

If BT Retail know better than that and other ISPs don't, then OfCom would no doubt not be amused.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-May-13 08:20:18
Print Post

I am in Sherfield, about 500m from the exchange building.

Cab 10 then, most likely, to be found here.

Standard User Alexir
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 09:26:38
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
with the exception of Sky & TalkTalk, they may need to time to put in their links at the exchange

I've heard about TalkTalk having their own (MSAN?) equipment at the exchange to connect to their own backhaul and the fact that installing it takes time, but can someone explain exactly if this really affects FTTC provision time frame for the customer?

The suggestion is that TT only start the process to add their equipment once BT have 1. enabled the exchange and 2. started connecting people - which would seem to give BT a (month long?) monopoly and a tremendous competitive advantage at every exchange.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 12-May-13 09:54:20
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

If LLU is already available with Sky/TT then they will already have their equipment /back haul in the exchange and will need to purchase the link to connect to the FTTC equipment.

If Sky/TT drag their feet installing it then that is up to them. It doesn't give BT a monopoly because there are dozens if not hundreds of other ISPs that use the BT back haul which you should be able to order from as soon as the BT Wholesale checker says you're good to go.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to