General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 11:47:59
Print Post

Moving House

[link to this post]

I am in the process of buying a new house and can't be without broadband for work so don't want a delay when I move in (I could use 4G but it's not ideal). Previously when I moved house, it has taken a week or so to have the BT line reconnected and then more time for the broadband to be activated which I am keen to avoid. I am currently on Virgin cable and am moving to a non-cable area so can't take it with me.

The house is interesting because it currently has three telephone lines - one for voice, one for broadband (I don't know why they have separate lines) and one for the alarm. The broadband is just ADSL but I will want FTTC (it is on an FTTC enabled cabinet) and ultimately I would like to install FTTPoD when it becomes available on the exchange.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimise or eliminate the downtime when we move in? Should I ask the owner to give up one of his lines early and I can set it all up in advance? Or is it unnecessary because everything can be done quickly these days?

Thanks,

Brian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 12:02:06
Print Post

Re: Moving House

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

A Simultaneous Provider, where a LORN (Linked Order Reference Number) is used to link the broadband and ADSL together and thus installed same day.

Personally I'd try for that, but it sometimes fails, but always keep the 4G dongle to hand.

Installs have been slow but getting better, ceasing one of the existing ones early might help, but doubt anyone will do that until the move has fully gone through, which is usually the day you get the keys.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bdo21
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 12:08:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you and apologies - I did a google search for LORN and found a very helpful FAQ on this on thee thinkbroadband website - I should have looked at that first. Sorry

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-May-13 23:27:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't know about other suppliers, but I had problems trying to get this kind of order done through Plusnet. It just seems that BT managed to reject the order, but no-one noticed.

If you do want things up-and-running ASAP, you will want to keep calling your ISP (whichever you go for) to ensure that BT haven't rejected your order in the meantime. If it does happen, at least you get the order back on track ASAP.
Standard User lewisskinner
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 00:33:02
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

BT do seem to reject order more often than one would like, and these are not often picked up unfortunately.

I am a Plusnet Employee, but my opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent the views of Plusnet Technologies or the wider BT Group plc.

Plusnet FTTC Ping
Virgin Media 100Mbps Ping
  Print Thread

Jump to