General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Mon 13-May-13 17:05:57
Print Post

Confused over exhanges and date to sign up

[link to this post]

Currently I am on LLU but the line length is about 3 miles despite Samknows saying its 2km from exchange.

When I checked the infinity checker on bt site it says my main exchange is enabled in June, but shows another small village exchange(the village is merged with the town) which is under a mile away but not enabled to end of 2014

What does this mean in terms of what exhange I would use? Currently I use the town centre exchange for LLU.

Secondly it is meant to be enabled 30th June so at what point can I put in a order with a provider?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 13-May-13 17:16:25
Print Post

Re: Confused over exhanges and date to sign up

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

use the number checker, with a close neighbour's number (or the full address) if it doesn't recognise your LLU number. www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I twill tell you which exchange you're connected to via which cabinet...

Telephone Number yyyyyxxxxxx on Exchange EXCHNAME is served by Cabinet N

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Slickwhits
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 17:46:38
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi, I know FTTC is being rolled out to my local exchange (Lytham) in September, but I was wondering if anyone here can tell me what my cabinet number is (or will be) and whereabouts it is located. My postcode is FY85DB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 17:51:45
Print Post

[re: Slickwhits] [link to this post]

You need to use the address checker that is part of the checker given in the previous post.

A full address is needed as postcodes can be served by more than one cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 13-May-13 19:21:32
Print Post

[re: Slickwhits] [link to this post]

Well, it would seem it's already available, I just tried a few addresses in your post code:

VICTORIA STREET, LYTHAM ST ANNES, FY8 5DB on Exchange LYTHAM is served by Cabinet 21

WBC FTTC Up to 62.2 Up to 20 -- Available

Check your own address here, house number and postcode will suffice, or telephone number if not LLU.

(member) Tue 14-May-13 19:48:22
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Doesnt say about cabinet as that isnt live till 30th June I know, but says I am currently connected to my town centre exchange not the village one which is closer

Kinda crazy that where I live is 2km from town centre exchange but have over 3 miles of cable yet there is a smaller exchange just over a mile away.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-May-13 19:58:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by mittenkrust:
Doesnt say about cabinet as that isnt live till 30th June I know, but says I am currently connected to my town centre exchange not the village one which is closer
Regardless of whether a cab has been enabled for FTTC or not, if you are connected via a cab its number should be be given when you check your phone line on the number or address checker (but not the postcode checker). If no cab is mentioned it is quite possible that you are on an Exchange Only line which unfortunately would mean you aren't going to be able to get FTTC anytime soon.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 14-May-13 20:01:30
Print Post

Edit: beaten to it.

Does it not give you a cabinet number? If your on a cabinet it should show the number even if FTTC is not available.

If there is no cabinet number then you may on an exchange only line, and that means no FFTC for the moment, as they are not allowed to install the equipment in the exchange, even if they were it wouldn't work at your distance.

Edited by R0NSKI (Tue 14-May-13 20:02:07)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 14-May-13 21:37:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by mittenkrust:
Kinda crazy that where I live is 2km from town centre exchange but have over 3 miles of cable yet there is a smaller exchange just over a mile away.

Not as crazy as at my parents place, 100m from the exchange but their line is 1.2km long.
(member) Wed 22-May-13 17:31:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Did I use correct chceker? Didnt put number in just postcode for samknows and it lists me as the small exchange 1.3 miles away(same distance as town centre one!) if I use the "mapping" check but I am confused as all other chekers say I am on the town centre exchange
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to