General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Mon 13-May-13 22:18:10
Print Post

What equipment is needed/provided for fibre BB

[link to this post]

I'm not too clear on the equipment that is needed/provided for fibre BB in the home. I understand there is a different phone socket or faceplate (I have a ADSL Nation faceplate).
A lady friend has got Infinity and, there appears to be two modem type boxes in her rather untidy installation. Is that right? And why is there two, and not just one, as per my o2 box, and what is their function? I'm just thinking if there are two boxes needed, it may make things rather untidy (well, more untidy) for me, if I were to go the fibre route.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP (SP3) Home, o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 22:21:21
Print Post

Re: What equipment is needed/provided for fibre BB

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

Yes currently two boxes that require mains

1. The openreach FTTC modem
2. The router that the provider supplies

Maybe later in 2013 you might be able to have a single box solution officially, but for now its let the install happen, and then buy a not that cheap all--in-one VDSL modem and router.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-May-13 22:35:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
... and then buy a not that cheap all--in-one VDSL modem and router.
With the risk at the moment that it won't meet the Openreach approved specification.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 14-May-13 00:02:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you. Can these two units at least be stacked, or to they need to be physically separated. It looked like as far as I could tell, my friend's were vertical (one was shoehorned in behind her printer, couldn't see the other one).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP (SP3) Home, o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 14-May-13 00:07:10
Print Post

don't think they need to be kept apart, the router could be 10s of metres away connected via Ethernet or it could be next to the modem.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-May-13 11:27:38
Print Post

The only reason I don't stack mine is because the router I have has air vents on the top so don't want to block them. Other than that you can stack, wall mount, up-end or whatever else takes your fancy...
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 14-May-13 12:07:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The modem is slightly prone to overheating. Best to place vertically (eg wall mount) if possible.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User lewisskinner
(newbie) Tue 14-May-13 22:25:11
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Mine are both mounted vertically on the wall. I will shortly buy a dual-WAN router, and run ethernet from the LAN1 port of the modem to one WAN port of the new router.

I am a Plusnet Employee, but my opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent the views of Plusnet Technologies or the wider BT Group plc.

Plusnet FTTC Ping
Virgin Media 100Mbps Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-May-13 22:56:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
The modem is slightly prone to overheating. Best to place vertically (eg wall mount) if possible.
Since the first lot of HG612s, several of which overheated, but far from all, have there been any reports of the HG612 Type 3Bs and ECIs that replaced them for new users and some existing users overheating?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-May-13 23:05:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:

Mine has never been wall mounted. I wasn't offered it. Its a 3B and sits on top of my old P4 desktop (metal case) that has no cables connected. smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to