General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sodicka320
(regular) Fri 17-May-13 11:52:46
Print Post

Wireless Dongle for fbre on pc

[link to this post]

Hi

Just wondering how to fix Ethernet cable to desktop pc after having fibre installed yesterday.

The BTOR recommended just using a wireless dongle as the desktop is on the landing directly above the kitchen where the router is.

How much speed if any would I be likely to loose from using a dongle compared to cable?

Wireless Adapter

Cheers smile
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 17-May-13 11:56:00
Print Post

Re: Wireless Dongle for fbre on pc

[re: sodicka320] [link to this post]

wireless might be a constraint, depending what speed etc it negotiates. I couldn't do better than 50 Mbits/s with one setup. The number on the box isn't the effective data transfer rate.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 17-May-13 12:07:46
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

It could depend a lot on how many neighbours have wireless setups, how close they are to you, and what channels they happen to use.
Wireless will almost always be slower and less reliable than a cable, but will often be quite adequate for most uses.

I get about 50Mpbs speedtest speeds on one wireless laptop against 70Mbps wired to my desktop.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 17-May-13 12:10:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

You want to use Ethernet if possible, you could look into Powerline Adapters instead of Wireless.

I'm currently using a TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter for my desktop upstairs. I get better signal than my previous adapter this giving me the best speed possible via wireless. The only downfall to this adapter I've noticed is you can never get a response time of <1 probably due to the overheads that it has compared to my previous adapter I could always get less than 1ms response time to anything.

Edited by ryant704 (Fri 17-May-13 12:12:17)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Fri 17-May-13 12:17:20
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
It could depend a lot on how many neighbours have wireless setups, how close they are to you, and what channels they happen to use.
Wireless will almost always be slower and less reliable than a cable, but will often be quite adequate for most uses.

I get about 50Mpbs speedtest speeds on one wireless laptop against 70Mbps wired to my desktop.

Not only are there multiple other devices used in the 2.4 GHz spectrum such as video senders, wireless doorbells etc but Intel have published data that USB 3 also interferes with 2.4 GHz wireless as well.

Wireless has probably had it's best days now as more and more PC's come out with USB 3 capability.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-May-13 14:31:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by sodicka320:
Hi

Just wondering how to fix Ethernet cable to desktop pc after having fibre installed yesterday.

Did you upgrade from ADSL? What was the setup before? Why did you need to change it?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User sodicka320
(regular) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:44
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

hi

yes was on adsl and modem was on phone line extension next to pc so was easy to Ethernet connect , now fibre is downstairs in kitchen next to mastersocket.

cheers smile
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-May-13 15:17:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by sodicka320:
hi

yes was on adsl and modem was on phone line extension next to pc so was easy to Ethernet connect , now fibre is downstairs in kitchen next to mastersocket.

cheers smile

Shame you didn't go for the Data Extension kit really. Any chance of running an Ethernet cable down the route taken by the phone extension? This could be either to connect the PC to the router downstairs or the router upstairs to the modem, makes no difference.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User sodicka320
(regular) Fri 17-May-13 15:47:18
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yep probably will eventually but needs carpet taking up and a couple of floor boards. Have a few squeeky boards that need sorting around there anyway wink

(Data cable would have been same probs as Ethernet cable)

Cheers smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-May-13 22:56:28
Print Post

You can't go far wrong at £6.99. Unless the P & P is £10.

What's your connection speed anyway? Mine is 54Mbps and I getspeed test results on wireless of 49Mbps or so.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to