General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dinnerty
(newbie) Fri 17-May-13 17:20:47
Print Post

30.9Mb estimated, worth going for bt infinity 2?

[link to this post]

Hey all

bt infinty estimate

30.9Mb download / 5.9 mb upload on bt infinity 1

Is it worth going for bt infinity 2 (up to 76mb), if I choose that would my download speed increase more?.

Anyone else upgraded to bt infinty 2 with a similar estimate and had a speed increase?.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 17-May-13 17:23:32
Print Post

Re: 30.9Mb estimated, worth going for bt infinity 2?

[re: Dinnerty] [link to this post]

People often get a little more than their estimate to start with.
You might just get over the 40Mbps with Infinity 2 on that estimate, but only by a very small amount.
If you start with Infinity 1 and it looks as if you are right at the top of its speed range, you can recontract then.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Dinnerty
(newbie) Fri 17-May-13 17:28:23
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Cheers, yeah that make sense. Will look into bt infinity 1 for now then

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 17-May-13 17:51:58
Print Post

If you go for a 40/2 or 40/10 product to start and then get an unlocked HG612 modem you will be able to see what you Max Attainable rate is. Then, if is well above 40 you could decide to move to 80/10 or 80/20.

With BT if you select a product and use it for a couple of week before deciding to upgrade you can do so easily as your old contract will be cancelled and a new one started from that date - there will be no penalty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Dinnerty
(newbie) Fri 17-May-13 18:08:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cheers, tempted to just order infinity 2 (seems people getting higher than anticipated and it's only a £3 price difference between infinity 1 per month) and see how it goes.

Whats the process of MAC codes when migrating to BT infinity from Be unlimited LLU?, hearing loads of stuff saying a MAC is required and some say it's not required?
(experienced) Fri 17-May-13 20:23:41
Print Post

Get the Mac from BE just in case: I'm pretty sure BT ignored mine though.

Make sure you explicitly cancel from BE as well as getting the Mac; getting a Mac and using it is not equivalent to cancelling.

You might want a quite bit of overlap between ending BE and starting Infinity in case the Infinity install gets mucked up; fairly rare but not nearly as rare as it should be.

If you have your phone with BE it is a little more complicated: double-check the details. BT contracts seem to get very confused when it involves change of phone and change to Infinity at the same time; they often lose the change to Infinity bit and you end up with a spell of BT ADSL.

Make sure BE don't charge a cancellation fee at the end even though they shouldn't. You will see lots of cases where they do (including mine) in this forum and BE forum. They are very good at apologizing and giving you your money back, but ....

Check for good special offers of Sainsbury voucher and/or cashback; often extra reason to choose Infinity 2

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 17-May-13 20:42:25
Print Post

I believe a MAC Code isn't required when swapping from a LLU provider to BTW but the easiest thing would be to get the Mac code off BE anyway.
Standard User Dinnerty
(newbie) Fri 17-May-13 23:30:13
Print Post

That's interesting, so theoretically you could have BE unlimited and BT infinity?, will get my MAC from BE on Monday, (closed all weekend).

Once ordered, how long does it usually take for the BT engineer to come out and install it?. Can they come out on weekends?. Think I might order infinity tomorrow laugh

It's funny you said that StephenTodd, went on BE forums earlier and seen many threads about the cancellation fee!
(experienced) Sat 18-May-13 08:09:19
Print Post

You can't have BE and Infinity at the same time.

But sometimes you order Infinity and get an install date; but the installer doesn't turn up. (See lots on the BT forums)
They then reschedule, often for a couple of weeks later or more.
If you have arranged for your BE contract to end exactly on the Infinity install date, you can end up with no broadband for a while.
You might be able to arrange BT ADSL pretty sharpish in that case; but with complications because the BE LLU might mean work at the exchange to arrange that.
Also, BE are apparently helpful about short extensions to end of contract, but there can be details (line cease or ???) which can mean they can't help even if they want to.
Luckily, this sort of problem is fairly rare, but as I said, not as rare as it should be ....

I think my Infinity install was around 3 weeks after order: I can't remember now.
They do sometimes install at weekends; I don't know how difficult it is to get a weekend appointment, and whether it might mean a longer wait.

--
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 18-May-13 11:45:58
Print Post

I would suggest to the OP dont tell BE cancel, as they then cease the line which can cause issues. I would only cancel after new service is live.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to