General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ou7shined
(learned) Mon 20-May-13 10:31:50
Print Post

not wired to my nearest cabinet/exchange

[link to this post]

So I got all hooked up to fiber last week. My speeds have obviously increased from ADSL but at 17-18 megs are not all that great for fiber.
Speaking about it with the Openreach engineer who did the install, I said it's obviously because my exchange (ABERDEEN BALGOWNIE) is quite a bit away. He said he thought it's weird as I'm not wired into my closest one which is just around the corner. I asked how I could go about getting my line moved and he said, quote "Basically, they will tell you to f**k off mate". I only have his word on this.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/exch...

-Rich-
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-May-13 10:38:13
Print Post

Re: not wired to my nearest cabinet/exchange

[re: ou7shined] [link to this post]

It's nothing to do with the distance to the exchange, and everything to do with the distance to the cabinet.

But even here, you aren't always wired into the closest cabinet. It all depends on the order in which building development happened, or the order in which houses connected up, or the direction of ducting, or even a lack of space in the nearest cabinet, or nearest exchange at the time of connection.

He's right on the likelihood of moving the line though. You can ask (it is called network re-arrangement), but that is very likely the answer.
Standard User ou7shined
(learned) Mon 20-May-13 10:44:44
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Cheers. Yeah I thought he might have been talking about the cabinet as I'd not heard of any other exchanges close by.
So whoever installs the wiring (BT?) has no remit to provide the best service just one that kinda works. Awesome.

-Rich-

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-May-13 11:28:19
Print Post

To provide the best service to everyone would result in phone line rental of £100 a month, as the network had to keep being rebuilt to accomodate options to improve speeds.

You can pay for Network Rerrangement yourself, but be prepared to spend as much as buying a new car.

Government aim is 2 Mbps for every one by 2015, so you are well past that already.

If having faster speeds is crucial then look at Fibre on Demand which is starting to become available in areas with FTTC, but probably looking at £1500 to £2000 cost to install, and that is a fibre direct into your home with a 330 Mbps broadband connection on the end of it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-May-13 10:07:38
Print Post

BT have a requirement to provide a telephone service - which only requires a copper line of up to 6-10km. They have a requirement to provide dial-up access over that line.

With that requirement, there has never been a demand (in the past) to ensure that the line is as short as possible - merely that it can connect.

So various properties get their connections in different ways, depending on whether there was any capacity in the cabinets, in the cables and in the exchange - at the time the property was built (or asked for the line). Sending the cable a funny route was no different to choosing to use party lines, or a DACS unit - all ways to cope with running out of resources, but all incompatible with broadband.

The need for short lines, for carrying broadband, is a very recent phenomenon. Re-arranging the copper network to suit it would be a very expensive task, and unlikely to ever be economic - it would be better to install fibre
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 22-May-13 10:58:09
Print Post

It is the way the network has evolved. New houses can mean new cabinets to serve those even if other lines go past that cabinet. New roads, and new cables can mean new or shorter routes. If BT was to automatically moved every customer to a closer cabinet when one is installed or a new cable route implemented then who would pick up the cost? If BT had come to you 10 years ago and said we are moving you phone connection - and you need to pay £250 - would you have paid up or complained?

I have friends who get sub-1Mbps ADSL, and FTTC may get them up to 5 Mbps. There are something like 20 cabinets closer to them that the one they are connected to. Four or five years back, they and their neighbours asked about re-routing to get improved voice and better ADSL - the quoted cost was in excess of £40k.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User OldChapXS
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 01:40:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Reading through these posts I realise how technically challenged I am.

I get the gist of what is being said though. The sad part (for me) though is that I was reading of FTTP and when it was being made available, thinking that my holy grail was almost within arms reach. So imagine, when I rang to arrange a survey for the quotation for the install.....

I fear that future house moves will be only to places where I have done all this homework first and not found said property wanting.

Thanks everyone for your insight.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-13 04:32:45
Print Post

Yes pretty much confirming what's already been said. The BT engineer was right. They won't re-route you to the nearest cab. It's extremely costly if they always did this and chances are there's a reason you were not connected to begin with.
The local cab probably didn't have capacity.

So often new housing estates get a bad time of it. They build the new houses and even though the exchange is only a mile or 2 away, the best routes back to the exchange aren't possible... This means that new houses often end up on extremely long cabling. People think 'new house, new lines, that'll be great.' Very often quite the oposite, they are getting whatever's left over & whatever route was free.

New housing estates often end up on distant cabs for example. It's not a priority to ensure they are on the nearest one.

BT wont start putting everyone on nearest local cabinets. It could get extremely costly indeed.
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Thu 23-May-13 06:59:53
Print Post

I saw a very obvious example about two weeks back.

A small housing estate, split in about equal quantity by the road I was parked in.

I happened to note a consumer phone line crossing the road, about 20 feet up in the air, clearly going to a house in the middle of the left-hand group.

Then I realised that just a few yards further on, there was a phone pole, supplying all the others in that LH group, with some of the lines actually passing over that house's back garden.

Looking right-wards, I noted another phone pole, connecting all of the houses in that RH group, plus the solitary cable crossing the road ...

Thus that one house is likely to have poorer Broadband, by the effects of the extra 200+ yards additional cable, compared to the immediate neighbours.

=====================

The various replies also hint at the difficulties of record-keeping etc; and why circuit tracing using oscillators etc has to be resorted to, frequently.
  Print Thread

Jump to