General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Wed 22-May-13 21:31:35
Print Post

BTW Diag. IP Profile slower than PN my current profile

[link to this post]

RE: IP Profile for new PN connection is different from BT Wholesale diagnostics

Download speed achieved during the test was - 37.38 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-73.15 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 73.15 Mbps

OK so whats the crack ?

Am I being ripped off or what?
Are my speeds being capped?
How can I hack the ECI modem so I can take a look myself at what's going on?

Cheers

Plusnet Waiting for FTTC - My Router has arrived today ! smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 22-May-13 22:06:01
Print Post

Re: BTW Diag. IP Profile slower than PN my current profile

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

Easiest way is to get an HG612 off ebay, that can be unlocked by just updating the firmware. ECI needs opening up, and doing the hard way and the results are no where near as good.

Are you carrying out speed tests by a wired connection or via wireless?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-May-13 22:32:09
Print Post

You haven't shown us the Plusnet copy of the IP Profile, so we'll just have to take your word for it. It's held in your account details under High Speed Broadband - and is labelled Current line speed.

What was your upload speed?

The problem is likely to be that you have erroneously been placed on a 40/2 or 40/10 product. A quick phone call to support should get it fixed within minutes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Thu 23-May-13 00:57:20
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Are you carrying out speed tests by a wired connection or via wireless?

I am connecting at the moment directly into my BTO modem via PPPoE Connection (Ethernet) Directly into my server - This is a temp. measure until a replacement router is sent out as the original PN Router which was sent out was RMA and new one is being sent out to me ASAP.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You haven't shown us the Plusnet copy of the IP Profile, so we'll just have to take your word for it. It's held in your account details under High Speed Broadband - and is labelled Current line speed.

High-speed Broadband

Postcode:
Phone exchange:
LLANELLI
Estimated line speed:
32Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-05-07 20:54:16
Current line speed:
37 Mb <--- This is half of what is reported in the BTW diagnostic checker results.

[EDIT]

See screen grabs (Proof):

As captured from BT Wholesale Diagnostics tests results:
BTW IP Profile Results

As presented under PN Account IP Profile Results:
PlusNet IP Profile

Plusnet Waiting for FTTC - My Router has arrived today ! smile

Edited by majika2007 (Thu 23-May-13 01:20:14)

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Thu 23-May-13 01:47:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sound advise there RobertoS,

I Just spoke to PN BB support team and queried my concerns about the discrepancy between the PN IP Profile and the BT Wholesale Diagnostics IP profiles results and a nice guy on the phone said obviously someone has put you onto the incorrect profile and we will get the profile revised within the next 24 hours (approx)

He also stated that as he didn't have the correct authorization to do change to another profile himself at that time, which at 1:30 GMT time is quite understandable.So instead he said he will send a ticket off to the provisioning dept. now to get this matter escalated.

I just like to get what I pay for and if something this blatant has occurred it kind of makes me a bit annoyed. Just think of all the other poor PN (and other ISP) customers who haven't got a clue about this kind of thing. They must be saving a mint by automatically under-setting their customers profiles.

But I guess in a world of "free markets" where profits prevail and end of quarter bottom lines is what it all boils down to what can one expect.

This is probably one of many tactics used in order to stay competitive I guess. Can't blame them really..

Lets just see how things go. But so far I'm overall impressed with Plusnet support service and response times.

Keep you posted smile

Plusnet Awaiting a new router PN Also PN IP Profile Half
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 23-May-13 08:19:09
Print Post

in your profile it says Connection FTTC 40/20

is that what you thought you were buying ?

Seems like Wholesale and Plusnet have different views of what product you're on.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-13 09:34:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by majika2007:
Sound advise there RobertoS,

I think he was advising that PN may have ordered the 40/10 product for you, rather than having the wrong value stored in their database.

But if that were true, your sync speed wouldn't be in the 70's and the IP Profile in a BT speedtest wouldn't be in the 70's. They'd both be around 40 or just below.

But it was indeed sound advice to get in touch with the support guys by phone.

In reply to a post by majika2007:
They must be saving a mint by automatically under-setting their customers profiles.

The profile value kept by Plusnet isn't a value set by them once and kept forever.

It is meant to be dynamically updated based on the actual speed of your line, reported by BT, using BT's automatic updates. That value is normally updated when your router connects through your modem or (like you are currently doing) your PC connects direct to the modem.

Plusnet have to put some initial value there, so that things keep working even if BT never send an update. Normally, they'd put a value of, I think, 77.4Mbps there.

If it has gone wrong, it is because PN put the wrong initial value in there, which will get updated later, or BT has sent the wrong value.

The bottom line is that it should change automatically for you.

So - if you aren't yet sorted out, you could try disconnecting your PC, waiting a minute, then reconnecting.

If that doesn't do it, you can disconnect the PC and power down the modem. Wait a minute, power up the modem, wait a minute, connect the PC (Only power down the modem once, so we don't trip DLM).

Or, of course, wait for PN's support team.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 23-May-13 10:22:57
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I tried resetting my PN profile the other week, by first rebooting the router, and then turning the router off for a while. Neither caused the profile to be reset, had to post on the forum and it was sorted quickly.

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Thu 23-May-13 11:40:46
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

R0NSKI - Sound advise will head over to PN forums to introduce myself and see what's up.
WWWombat - I thought DLM is already running on my line for the first couple of days anyway?

However, I think I know what you mean not to produce an unforced error from the DLM side of things as to not kick in to slow me down..

I can see a support ticket has been raised under my account regarding this matter now it seems i'm just waiting for it to be answered: tick-tick-tick !...

Cheers guys smile

Plusnet Awaiting a new router PN Also PN IP Profile Half
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-May-13 14:03:31
Print Post

Ooops!

WWWombat is right, you are clearly on the 80/20 product. It's just that Plusnet line speed that has been set wrong somehow.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to