General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User danross83
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 17:45:15
Print Post

FTTC Question - Confused ISP

[link to this post]

Evening,

My area has been enabled for FTTC (Local cabinet has stickers and everything) The BTW availability checker lists my FTTC speed as 11.6mb/1mb, whereas the rest of the properties on my street are listed as 65/20 or thereabouts (we are all on the same cabinet...)

Anyway, i phone BT to order infinity, only to be told i can only get their "Faster Broadband" product at 11.6/1mb. Fair enough me thinks, and orders.

Installation day lands, and BTO engineer calls, says doing some work in the exchange b4 he comes to install my fibre. 3 hours later, having had to fix several line faults, he rocks up and installs my fibre modem etc, and in passing says "and you're getting near enough the full 40mb". Sure enough, speedtests (BTW, TB & SPEEDTEST.NET) all put my speed between 28-38mb down, 1.6-1.8mb up.

Seeing I blatantly have "infinity" i phone BT to ask if they can move me to 80/20 instead of 40/2 and they say "but you can only get 11mb".

Hence the confusion their end when i tell them i am blatantly getting 3x that speed.

They say BTO need to update their (BT) system to tell them what my line can handle. The crux of the question i suppose is this:

How long will it take for BTO to update the capabilites of my line? Is it possible that the various faults the engineer had to fix impacted the max reported speed data for BT? If so, do these sorts of things get updated on a regular cycle?

Thanks in advance....
Standard User ryant704
(member) Thu 23-May-13 18:00:41
Print Post

Re: FTTC Question - Confused ISP

[re: danross83] [link to this post]

Sounds like a database error, personally I would contact BT care.

They will then be able to see you are getting way above the 11Mbps. Though I believe the Faster Broadband should only be up to 16Mbps, if you can do the the above test and post the profiles back here that would be great.

BT Care - www.community.bt.com/
Register an account, then fill in this form.
Form - https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

BT Wholesale Speedtest (Can see IP profiles) - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

You could try the normal BT HelpDesk but I fear you will get no where and annoyed.
Standard User danross83
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 18:10:40
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

[img]http://s8.postimg.org/kd09pxwgx/btw_diagnostics.jpg[/img]

is screengrab of my BTW diagnostics result. just gonna mosey over to BT Care now, will update. Have also emailed nga enquiries at BTO to query too.....

Dan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 23-May-13 18:12:47
Print Post

Just bide your time for a week or two ... it will filter through. Run a few BT speedtests including the extra diagnostics and they will be saved on your profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-13 18:50:09
Print Post

Even better... that IP Profile value of 38.72Mbps (visible if you click on the word "IMG", but not if you click on the URL itself) is the highest possible for a 40Mbps package, and shows you have a full 40Mbps sync speed.

That makes it more likely you'll go beyond that speed too, if you jump from Infinity 1 to Infinity 2. I think BT let you try that for a few days, if you ask nicely. Once you get onto one of the Infinity products at all, that is.
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Fri 24-May-13 05:49:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by danross83:
i phone BT to order infinity, only to be told i can only get their "Faster Broadband" product at 11.6/1mb. Fair enough me thinks, and orders.

If BT said you could only get 11.6meg "Faster Broadband" (ADSL?) why did they send an engineer to install fibre?

How much are they charging you, if you're paying for ADSL but getting infinity 1 fibre speeds why bother rattling their cage?
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 24-May-13 06:48:32
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

"Faster Broadband" is FTTC but is up to 16Mbps instead of 40/80.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-May-13 10:24:52
Print Post

As ryant704 says, it is still FTTC not ADSL, and IIRC it is the same price as Infinity 1.
In fact, the majority of the points of the package are the same as Infinity 1 - or at least they used to be.

The important aspect, from BT's point of view, is that it isn't branded "Infinity".

That means they can continue to advertise Infinity in a way that speaks about how much of a speed increase you get.
Standard User danross83
(newbie) Fri 24-May-13 17:57:02
Print Post

I'm rattling their cage cos I should be able to get infinity 2, and I'm prepared to pay for it, if they'd only fix their system error and let me order it.......
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:15:50
Print Post

BT Care will be able to sort this, did you contact them?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to